3DCoat Forums

PTeX first Try

spacepainter

• Contributor

Trying Ptex, Can anyone explain what is special about it?

I really like it, I think, but how is it different from PPPainting?post-1736-12652122152647_thumb.jpg

No seams due to poor Uving for example.

And Mesh is displaced with Depth instead of just a normal map like in ppp.

Its more like Microverts than pppainting actually...but without any of the flaws of Microvertex.

(small isolated uvs island generated by 3DCoat automapping would result in artifacts when merging from voxel-to microverts)

Ptex truly allows voxel-quadrangulation-merge-paint workflow without making any UVS for the first time in 3DC. :brush::)

It mostly fix the problem of automapping and also gives optimal quality of painting.

• Advanced Member

about this ptex, i dont know if im right. but it seems to be very easy in theroy. so i think it works this way and it only works with quads if im right -> you scretch automatical all your face at the uv into quad 0 1 ( like you press in maya on unitize), afterwards you give this uvs the ids of your faces. so you know which face is assigned to which quad uv. then you need a layerd imageformat like a modified tiff, where you have maybe in the header of each layer the id which is pointing on the face id and thats it...

is it possible to use ptex on polygons >= 5 ? on the way i thought that it is working it wont.

or wait, i think it would, if you relativate the polygon in the uv.

i think this technic would fit perfect for realtime, if you expand your layers in detail levels, as example for each layer you using 4 level from low detail up to high detail, on that way you get a perfect loding per textureside, throught your cam focus on your faces you switch between those layers. and you just stream the focused part to the to video ram.