3DCoat Forums

Texture resolution: Help!

Jon

Hello-

I am new here, and this is my very first post!

I have a question regarding per pixel painting, specifically about painting on a texture. I am trying to paint on an asphalt texture onto a road, which is about 1100 feet in length. The problem I am running into is that when I try to paint the texture onto the mesh using the Material with a brush, it end up being all pixelated, and thus does not work for me.

I have enclosed a screenshot to help explain the problem. In the screenshot, I am using the IMG Color Picker to show the resolution I would like to have on the surface, next to the resolution I am actually getting.

Any help is of course greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3dCoat.jpg

• Contributor

Hello-

I am new here, and this is my very first post!

I have a question regarding per pixel painting, specifically about painting on a texture. I am trying to paint on an asphalt texture onto a road, which is about 1100 feet in length. The problem I am running into is that when I try to paint the texture onto the mesh using the Material with a brush, it end up being all pixelated, and thus does not work for me.

I have enclosed a screenshot to help explain the problem. In the screenshot, I am using the IMG Color Picker to show the resolution I would like to have on the surface, next to the resolution I am actually getting.

Any help is of course greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3dCoat.jpg

You can try to get your brush the proper sized sample for the brush radius you are using it will help.

On screenshot it seams you are painting with a small sample of the image with a large brush

BUT also painting is not best way to capture details from image files,it really overlaps and smooth itself.

2 methods that i like:

You can use Stamp mode to drag image on mesh.

or

Make a big tiled picture of desired resolution and load it as a material.

You will get exact screen projection of your image. :)

• 1 year later...

on this subject, I was also having a similar problem with pixelated depth/normal maping. I've found a work around by simply exporting the created colour (difuse) map from 3DC and then converting it to a normal map in photoshop using Nvidia's excelent DDS plugin for photoshop below:

developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

You may need to change the image into a bump first (grayscale mode and contrast/brightness adjustment then back to RGB mode). You then import the finished/'normalised' map back into 3DC via Textures> import> normal map.

very happy with the results, hope this helps anyone.