3DCoat Forums

3dc for 2D painting

Lucky_1

Hi people,

I've been playing lately with 3dc as a painting application.(plane (planar UV projection)

And I really like it because:

1. you've access to all the blending modes

2. shift as smoothbrush

3. symmetry painting

4. super fast navigation (zoom + pan(hand)

5. access to stencilmasks + freeze

6. and all the other tools

7. export to and import from photoshop

8. would be great if we had layermasks Andrew ;)

We have currently 2 modes available and it seems that perpixelpainting works very good :)

(a little less responsive as ptexpainting imo - especially the smoothbrush)

post-922-12692838148552.jpg

And I have these weird artifacts in my strokes using ptex (makes it not so usable right now)

post-922-12692838287901.jpg

3dc 3.205 dx simple.

L

post-922-12692838148552_thumb.jpg

post-922-12692838287901_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
would be great if we had layermasks Andrew ;)

There is a way to make a type of layer mask. It's a bit of a hassle to set up though.

1. Create a layer to be used as the mask. Name it "Layer 1 Mask" (or whatever you want to)

2. Select the layer you want to mask (Lets call it "Layer 1") then select "Layer 1 Mask" from the "Linked layer" drop down in the Blending palette.

3. Whatever areas are painted on "Layer 1 Mask", will reveal whatever is painted on "Layer 1" (Use the eraser to remove painted areas).

4. Set the Opacity of "Layer 1 Mask" to 0 to prevent the colors from "Layer 1 Mask" bleeding through to (or blocking) "Layer 1".

I hope that makes sense. :unsure:

• Applink Developer

This is a nice way of using 3d-coat. I have been thinking this same topic lately. I think that if we could paint on reference

images (see the picture) that would be a huge time saver. In Paint mode ther would be I check box "Paint into reference images"

and then when you rotate the view it would show the right image as it works in voxel mode. Right now I'm working in Sketchbook pro

because it's the program where you can paint symmetry on. But if this could be a little bit easier in 3d-coat I wouldn't need sketchbook pro

anymore.

post-1165-12694544341461_thumb.png