3DCoat Forums

voxel merge mistake

Cloner

Hi all,

This is my first post, though I have bought 3dc a bit back and sometimes used it.

Recently I am required to do very low poly work building aircraft models.

When I use the merge tool in voxel room the result model (blue color) seems all torn around edges and seams, and sometimes outer edges of wings almost disappear.

I am sure I am making some mistake.

Any suggestion on how to merge properly would be of great help.

I use closed meshes and also click "close mesh" to be double sure before "merge."

I tried to follow the tutorial here on 3dc, also bought the video dvd training.

But this is not a problem I found anybody to be facing.

My computer is ok. I have CUDA. I create simple 3d models for a living.

Usually I needed high poly meshes for work.

But now most work is extreme low poly and requiring detailed normal maps.

So, I was trying 3d coat, but facing this problem.

Don't know where I am going wrong.

Any advice would be helpful.

Regards

Cloner

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Cloner,

Double check your mesh to be sure that there are no unmerged or duplicated vertices in your model. One way to check is "not" to select make mesh close and if you have strings of voxels you have a hole somewhere and the make mesh close does not fix unmerged or duplicated vertices.

Next, really thin areas on your model require a higher voxel resolution on importing. You have to have enough voxels to create a smooth edge for thin areas.

No reason to select make mesh closed if the model closed already...

Cloner, have you considered importing your low polygon model into the paint room using microvertex or per-pixel painting to create your normal map details.

• Reputable Contributor

You can also import your model into the paint room as a ptex object which has no uv map but then save the normal maps to your aircraft's uv map by using the texture baking tool. I will look for the tutorial link and post it when I find it...

Edit: Here is the link for the Ptex to an existing uv map model: Just make sure that you select your aircraft's external mesh in the Texture baking tool and not current mesh...

You do not have to merge your model into the voxel room for this to work only import the model into the paint room as a ptex model...

If you do need to use the voxel room, you have a "proxy" mesh when you import your model, which is you're exact model before converting to voxels. If you're not getting clean edges try scaling up the proxy model with the white cube in the middle before hitting Enter. Just do it a little first, then if that's still not clean hit Undo and scale it up some more, hit Enter, and repeat this until you're happy with the result.

I made a little low-poly airplane of my own and a video, maybe it will help:

http://screencast.com/t/MDNlZWQ0YW

BTW sometimes you can't use the white cube if you're zoomed in really close, if nothing happens just trying zooming the camera out a little.

Thanks for all responses and advice friends,

I am going to office now, and at my employer's place it is all high poly for we make ad films.

When I come back from work, I will consider and approach according to each suggestion and find out my mistake.

If it is still not solved, I will upload printscreens and also a model so that others can help to solve.

Just had a look at the forum before going to office.

Seriously, I never expected anybody to care or reply.

I feel thankful and encouraged, and obliged to shoot a quick acknowledgement.

My gratitude to all.