3DCoat Forums

faceting problem

mackshiva

Hi,

I have a voxel model and I want to paint it with ptex method. I select quadrangulate and merge for ptex and it works but no matter how I set the various parameters for intermediate resolution, carcass resolution and smoothing steps I get a faceted looking model in the paint room. The same model does not have facets when I quadrangulate for per pixel paint. Can someone explain or direct me to an explanation of the various resolution parameters? Does anyone know why I am getting faceting? I tried increasing the voxel res before quadrangulating for Ptex and I just got smaller facets. I've attached a pic of the faceted result from the paint room.

Thank you very much for any help,

Kevin

post-2074-12751617095874_thumb.jpg

• Applink Developer

Ít seams that you have already tried this, but have you tested with turning layer1 off. But then it also takes your baked disp away I think that this bug.

For example try to use "Merge patch with Ptex" and you don't see those bugs. So this is baking bug. When I create disp map with baking texture tool I can see

these quads also. They are small but they are there. "Smooth mesh" should take these away, but it actually works with base mesh not with Baked displacement on the

top. This is not Ptex problem alone.

This problem appears if voxel resolution is essentially less then ptex/microvert resolution. Use close values of of that resolutions to avoid the problem.

Thank you! reducing the resolution at the various stages of quadrangulation and conversion seems to solve the problem.

I am using the latest production version 3.3.

I'd still like to have a better understanding of what the various resolution choices mean in the process. Has this been explained in any threads? I couldn't find anything. If I understood what was happening in the various stages of the process, it would make it easier to choose the optimal values.

Thanks again!