3DCoat Forums

hiding uv-groups for paintroom

adrianr01

Hi, working on a character, i have uvs for different parts, like jacket, head, pants, shoes, ..

what i want to do is work/paint on each group seperatly, i have found that hiding the uvs in the uv tab is a good way to do this, but this also means that i have to go back to uv tab each time i need to shift part and do the unhide/hide

i see there is an option for saving hidden faces to a mask, but this doesn't save the hidden faces i hide in the uv tab, is there a way?

if not please some option for saving hide/unhide state

and question about the layersystem for multiple objects, wouldnt it be clearer that every object has its own layersystem or would that not work?

• Reputable Contributor

If you merged in separate objects under File/merge object like say pants, shirts into the paint room with their own uv map, then just use the object tab like the material tab to hide and unhide the separate models or lock them...

wel for gaming content, its better to keep everything in one mesh, like a character and have just one uvmap with all the different parts, only something like sword should be a different object

i think this is just missing, and can be easely fixed by having a way to store hidden faces, and the best way to hide the parts is by uv island or even some selected faces,

the problem with the current face hiding option is that you only can brush away some faces and save that selection mask , so its not accurate or fast.

• Contributor

wel for gaming content, its better to keep everything in one mesh, like a character and have just one uvmap with all the different parts, only something like sword should be a different object

i think this is just missing, and can be easely fixed by having a way to store hidden faces, and the best way to hide the parts is by uv island or even some selected faces,

the problem with the current face hiding option is that you only can brush away some faces and save that selection mask , so its not accurate or fast.

With Hide Tool,just Double-clicking on connected polys hide them.For sub-objects on my game models it works lightning fast.

With Hide Tool,just Double-clicking on connected polys hide them.For sub-objects on my game models it works lightning fast.

i dont get it, are all your polygroups not connected as a single mesh? like hands, face , arms, etc.. , the only way to seperate this groups is by uv i think, but im still learning the best way to do my game models

so if you got advice on this please tell

• Reputable Contributor

and if you think about it, you can paint on different uv-islands in the 2dview why not be able to filter out that island and paint in 3dview?

You can filter it out by masking or hiding the polygons by uv island in the texture editor window and "paint" in the 3D view with the uv texture editor opened or closed your choice.

(it hides the polygons in the 3dview not the texture uv editor)

I put a picture up that explains the process, What works for hiding also works for masking.

Edit: In the picture I meant to say the texture menu, not view menu,

I updated the picture to the correct menu...

post-518-12763940195017_thumb.jpg

You can filter it out by masking or hiding the polygons by uv island in the texture editor window and "paint" in the 3D view with the uv texture editor opened or closed your choice.

(it hides the polygons in the 3dview not the texture uv editor)

I put a picture up that explains the process, What works for hiding also works for masking.

Edit: In the picture I meant to say the texture menu, not view menu,

I updated the picture to the correct menu...

oh man thats great! thanx for the help, just didn't think on using hide faces on the texture map, and its pretty quick, almost no need to save masks! thanx again