3DCoat Forums

Lightwave Import Settings

Oliver Thornton

• Advanced Member

Hey guys,

I've been using 3DB with Lightwave using the great LWO import option. It takes some getting used to the settings, but I managed to come up with ones that I've been using to bring in my model with the same smoothness of subdivision as found in LW, which generally does not always happen with the default settings. To save anyone else learning the program some time I thought I would share them here:

Millions of Polys: Users choice, but I got good results with 4. If you have a low- res model or are suffering performance issues you can turn this down to 1.

Texture size: User choice

Mapping Type: If you have UV-mapped your model into one UV-Map you will want to use Keep UVs. If you have more than one UV map on your model then you want to use the Cluster option. If you don't have UV mapping on your model, the Auto Mapping will work very well for most organic and inorganic objects.

Subdivision method: Standard or Adaptive, I haven't noticed significant differences with most models, but I don't use any sub-D weighting or triangles in my meshes.

Smoothing On

Auto Smoothing Groups On

Last, but definitely not least, crank the smoothing angle up to 180. I don't really understand how this works, but 180 gave me the most Lightwave-like subdivision.

Once the import is complete, you are ready to start painting!

-Oliver

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I cant seem to get the same smoothness from sudvided lightwave file to 3db. Especially with some bandsawed edges that look jagged or crumpled on the edges. Tried different smoothing angles and i already set it to 4million polys. No luck.

But when i freeze the subdiv polys in lightwave and export to obj file and use that in 3db, its ok.

• Advanced Member

This is where I'm at.

Original subdivided lw file

image0001layer2uk4.jpg

converted to obj looks the same

image0000layer3ql9.jpg

importing the lwo file theres some holes and sharp lines are crooked

image0004layer1ds9.jpg

importing obj file works fine.

image0003layer4bz7.jpg

by the way how does 3db do the fills? I wanted to fill this mech piece by piece but its not so predictable. Sometimes it fills other parts. would it be possible to fill only polys that are connected or welded together? Iits easy to fill part by part or maybe the surface colors can be recognized in lw and imported in 3db.

image0002layer5bo7.jpg