3DCoat Forums

Some 2D painting

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, All painting was done in TwistedBrush, It was the wet finger paint blender for the smear effect on the bird...

The first image was simulating a 1910 type post card.

The third a speed painting for a loose feel, maybe a sculpt one day...

• Advanced Member

These are lovely paintings, especially the first one (my favorite).

Personally I think 2d is harder than 3d painting

he he, The best sculptors in the history of art were also painters.

Feidias (student and co worker of Polygnotos, they worked together on the great wall painting in Agora) Unfortunately nothing saved from this great school of painting.

Michelangelo ( cappella sistina)

Degas (you know his sculpts, the dancer etc)

Jiacometti (is he a sculptor or a painter?)

What about picasso's sculpture?

Polygoon, its the same, but there is some difficulty in 2d to paint nice tonal balance, lighting, shadows. Describing a 3d to 2d. And we didn't say anything about colors yet.

Sculpture is after a presence in a real place. Scaling is a mystery here. Working in digital 3d we have to place the sculpt somewhere and have to model this too. You all know, not easily convincing.

Sculpture helps the painter, painting helps the sculptor.

bad english, sorry.

• Advanced Member

They are also very good. It would be a challenge (well for me anyway ) to get that pink/red floral/fractal patterns sculpted on the first. Nice work I like them both.

Quote; "Polygoon, its the same, but there is some difficulty in 2d to paint nice tonal balance, lighting, shadows."

That's exactly what I mean. I can see the correlation between people having the ability to do very nice 2d and also being very good at sculpting. Personally, I think the underlying ability for both is to be able to visualise what it is in 3d space. People who are good at 2d have that extra ability to be able to portray that 3d visualisation in 2d space. This is something I know I lack. I can't get my 2d stuff to look anything like the way I visualise it, unless I do drafting, and probably why I really like my 3d applications.