3DCoat Forums

uv map won't "set".

jimiclay

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't I supposed to "Apply UV-set" after I've marked the seams and turned off symmetry on my model. I keep getting an error message that says, "This operation cannot be done". What's up?

And my other question also concerns uv mapping. When I import a biped model from LWave that's say... 5k polys, if I want to paint and texture the model, should I subpatch it with the lower or the higher setting, if at all? What I would rather do is not have to subpatch it in 3DC at all. What say ye?

Hmm I haven't done whole lot in the UV room. As I understand it if you import a model with UVs then bring it in there you can change the UV, make new seams etc, then hitting Apple UCV Set will actually apply the changes to the model in the painting room. I'm not sure if that's what you're doing or not.

Well what I did was import the model, and tell 3DC to Auto the uv map. Then I deleted the seams and created my own. Once that was done, I unwrapped the uv map and turned off sym on the X axis. Ironically enuf, awhile back in June, last time I tried uv's, it was that very mistake of not hitting the apply uv's that kept me from exporting the map. Strange that this time, its just the opposite. I don't get it.

"Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

View Postmoska, on 25 June 2010 - 06:13 AM, said:

i tink yu just have to aply uv set(its a button)

Exactly. Changes on existing uv sets will only be used when clicking on "Apply UV-set."

This was my issue last time, and I got frustrated and busy, and just walked away. But this time, I won't give up on 3DCoat. I'm stick'n till I get this thing under my belt! :angry: Its a bit strange, but not nearly as strange to me as zbrush. I really like the app, I just need to get a handle on it.

Well what I did was import the model, and tell 3DC to Auto the uv map. Then I deleted the seams and created my own. Once that was done, I unwrapped the uv map and turned off sym on the X axis. Ironically enuf, awhile back in June, last time I tried uv's, it was that very mistake of not hitting the apply uv's that kept me from exporting the map. Strange that this time, its just the opposite. I don't get it.

"Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

View Postmoska, on 25 June 2010 - 06:13 AM, said:

i tink yu just have to aply uv set(its a button)

Exactly. Changes on existing uv sets will only be used when clicking on "Apply UV-set."

This was my issue last time, and I got frustrated and busy, and just walked away. But this time, I won't give up on 3DCoat. I'm stick'n till I get this thing under my belt! :angry: Its a bit strange, but not nearly as strange to me as zbrush. I really like the app, I just need to get a handle on it.

OK, I got it. :yahoo:

Hi! How did you solve the issue? Because what you described is definitely what you would do. The apply UVs button should "stick" the UV map to the mesh. If it's a bug I'd love to know so we can report it. :)

To be honest, I can't tell you what I did, except that I kept trying over and over again till it worked. Altogether, I'd say I did the same thing about 10 times. IN fact, I lost count. Maybe 8 times, minimum, and then, suddenly in LW, I got that error message in LWave that it couldn't find the image map, and then I knew that it was finally working. Thats all I can tell you.