3DCoat Forums

Suggestions

Frankie

• Advanced Member

First I have to say I'm really impressed with this software, so thank you Andrew. I'm equally impressed by the rate at wich updates are released, amazing.

Here are my first suggestions after having played with the software for a week or so. Sorry if some are already implemented, as I'm still new to the software and I might have missed them.

1. Direct Cavity painting. Add cavity options in the pen parametters (to avoid the need to create a freeze mask first). One of the problem with the freeze is that you don't see the color of the freezed part anymore making it difficult to predict the result. This would be very useful when importing a sculpted mesh from say Mudbox to paint only color on 3DBrush.

2. Offset UVs command (to easily correct seams of tiles). Similar to the offset texture option in photoshop.

3. Tile in symetry modes (so when the brush goes beyond borders it wraps automatically). Similar to Maya's Paint Effect (in canevas mode).

4. 64 bits version (currently almost impossible to work in resolution above 2k as it reaches quickly the 2GB limit). This is utterly important to me :)

5. Support for 8K textures when there's enough vram on the graphic card, and obviously on a 64 bit machine.

6. Save preferences option. For instance, I prefer working with the pressure only affecting depth of the brush and change radius with keyboard. However when I start the program, it goes back to the pressure affecting both radius and depth by default.

7. New/Close file.

Thanks again.

1. What is cavity painting? You can paint cavity using CTRL. May be you mean something else?

2. There is Offset command for plane in "Commands" menu

3,4,5,6 - ok, now have in plans

7. Now when you will import new object, the scene will become clear and new object will be imported. Soon merging with new objects will be implemented.

• Advanced Member
1. What is cavity painting? You can paint cavity using CTRL. May be you mean something else?

Thanks for your answers.

When I say cavity painting, I mean putting color only into concave/convex areas of the existing mesh (without touching the mesh/displace/normal). I know there is an option to select concave/convex areas in the freeze mode, but as I said, when parts are freezed you can't see the color beneath very well.

I like to work in different passes, like sculpting first and then coloring. Cavity painting would help putting different color in the concave and convex areas based on an existing sculpt without the need to go first in frezze mode, select cavities and then paint.

I've seen we can now paint with pressure based on altitude (in the pen options), this would be similar but with pressure based on concavity/convexity of the mesh.

• Advanced Member
2. There is Offset command for plane in "Commands" menu

3,4,5,6 - ok, now have in plans

7. Now when you will import new object, the scene will become clear and new object will be imported. Soon merging with new objects will be implemented.

Awesome ! Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

4. 64 bits version (currently almost impossible to work in resolution above 2k as it reaches quickly the 2GB limit). This is utterly important to me :)

5. Support for 8K textures when there's enough vram on the graphic card, and obviously on a 64 bit machine.

Hi all, and special "Hi, the 4 thumbs up !!! " for Andrew :rolleyes:

About these points Frankie mentioned, I'm REALLY waiting for any confirmation about potential updates on these before integration in our workflow.

We're currently testing/choosing, for our environments (mostly huge rocks as in "Cars"), reversed Cam Mapping, also known as Termo Modeling.

The main disadvantage of that technique being the stretching resulting from early modeling/extrusion of "mapped volumes", and thus making further treatment really heavy in order to tune up from different angles, the old-school way.

So 3DC ISSSSSSSSS our solution, speaking of course about Texture/Photo imposing with dual viewport control for fast scale/orientation of both modelANDtexture.

Unfortunately, as we're almost always mapping 4k, and sometimes 8k, it just kills all of the benefit and often freezes, forcing to close every other app.

I guess this amazing tool can be considered as real companion for a "Paintless" Mudbox, mostly within regular VideoGame workflow, cause models and maps sizes still respond correctly in it. Pretty light, even with the often used 2k. On the other hand, it's a totally different concern for Movie Industry ... :unsure:

So please Andrew, will you develop any 64bits support, or is our dream almost ended ?

Once again btw, kewl and pretty innovative on EVERy aspects (small "y" 'cause of the too conservative base workload ;) )

Cheers, Andrew.