3DCoat Forums

Curve tool request :

rimasson

• Advanced Member

Thanks for releasing 2.05

I've got one request : i4d like to delete points on an existing curve, for example by dragging (and and automatically merging) a curve point to the next one.

Thanks.

• Advanced Member

3 more things:

I like the 'draw with expansion' tool, it's much softer but the Non_additive drawing in the depth palette dosent' work.

When you use the 'draw with expansion tool' with a curve or with a line , a dot appear, each time you create a new point on the curve

when the mouse is over a brush in the pen palette, is it possible to add a preview of the profile of the pen ?

I've got one request : i4d like to delete points on an existing curve, for example by dragging (and and automatically merging) a curve point to the next one.

You can delete points using 'Del' Press on point and then press 'Del'. Is it enough or you need collapse also?

I like the 'draw with expansion' tool, it's much softer but the Non_additive drawing in the depth palette dosent' work.

How differs expansion and non-additive drawing? You can intersect curve with non additive drawing.

When you use the 'draw with expansion tool' with a curve or with a line , a dot appear, each time you create a new point on the curve

Where is that dot? What do you mean?

when the mouse is over a brush in the pen palette, is it possible to add a preview of the profile of the pen ?

It is not easy, but will think about it...

• Advanced Member

I think it occurs as if 'additive' was happening regardless of whether or not it's

selected within the depth options and appears where one stroke stops and another

starts. I've included a picture that shows it quite obviously with a really high depth

setting (10.0 as the depth setting and the default pen alpha in the example picture below).

Also in regard to this, using a mouse with 'draw with expansion' and either a line or

curve drawing style is inconsistent with the actual application of the stroke...when

using a tablet it is consistent (on my desktop, at least).

cheers. :)

wailingmonkey

post-475-1202204665_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
You can delete points using 'Del' Press on point and then press 'Del'. Is it enough or you need collapse also?

How differs expansion and non-additive drawing? You can intersect curve with non additive drawing.

About deleting points : i didn't noticed the option before, and i didn't need a collase :)

About expantion : it's not related with the non-additive option in the depth palette, but it is related with the behaviour of the tool itself : the expansion tool always self intersect. (on the attached pic, the upper stroke is drawn with the Pen, and the lower with the expansion.)

I don't know if you purchased Zbrush, but i'd really like to habe the best of the two tools : the soft look of the expansion brush, and the non overlapping of the pen , like Zbrush standart brush.

post-476-1202206314_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi! Thanks for 2.05 release, its great.

I want to ask for expanding spline tools, its would be fantastic to have more control on splines.

I mean to bezier handles on spline points, and to be able to change type of spline point, like Corner, Smooth, Bezier and Bezier Corner. Plus maybe better way to add points on spline, like "create" on editable spline in Max.

P.S.

Spline\curve tools are very unique for 3db, so IMHO their improvement will make 3db more special and unique tool.

P.P.S.

What more, i'd like at some point to see procidural maps in 3db, like noise, cellular, smoke, electric, swirl and so on.

I think it occurs as if 'additive' was happening regardless of whether or not it's

selected within the depth options and appears where one stroke stops and another

starts. I've included a picture that shows it quite obviously with a really high depth

setting (10.0 as the depth setting and the default pen alpha in the example picture below).

Also in regard to this, using a mouse with 'draw with expansion' and either a line or

curve drawing style is inconsistent with the actual application of the stroke...when

using a tablet it is consistent (on my desktop, at least).

cheers. :)

wailingmonkey

It seems that you are working in pulverizer mode, so "additive mode" does not works. "Additive mode" works in standart pen because in pulverizer the depth is always additive.

• Advanced Member

Also, i want to ask about posibility to implement some kind of snaping in 3db. And in spline tools, i very missed some angle snap, when you can add new point on the same line with existing one, or on 45 and 90 degrees from it. Like holding shift in photoshop.

Also, i want to ask about posibility to implement some kind of snaping in 3db. And in spline tools, i very missed some angle snap, when you can add new point on the same line with existing one, or on 45 and 90 degrees from it. Like holding shift in photoshop.

The work over curves is continued. Any suggestions are welcome. Let it be perfect!

Yes, I will implement thes in next update. I can use SHIFT for constraints but the only problem is that SHIFT is used in pen mode for smoothing, so it will be strange if constrains will work only in curves mode. May be someone have good idea about this?

• Advanced Member
It seems that you are working in pulverizer mode, so "additive mode" does not works. "Additive mode" works in standart pen because in pulverizer the depth is always additive.

Perhaps I misunderstood rimasson's original question, but I thought he was using the 'draw with expansion' tool as well.

Also note, I said "as if" to relate the impression of what it was doing. :)

Yes, I will implement thes in next update. I can use SHIFT for constraints but the only problem is that SHIFT is used in pen mode for smoothing, so it will be strange if constrains will work only in curves mode. May be someone have good idea about this?

I thought I'd mentioned before, but the way Zbrush handles shift-constraint is that it only works if you

left-click FIRST with your pen, then hold shift (while still keeping left mouse button down), then dragging

mouse in direction you want (horizontally, vertically, or diagonally for 45-degree constraint).

If this is a problem, then perhaps just adding a hotkey for constraining would be a possible option?

how about a preview window similiar to the pick color window (could be opened and closed from view menu) this could work for the fill tool as well as all the other tools!

actually thinking more about it, it could be a "scratch pad" window as well. it could function like temporary pad to adjust you settings; choose you brush/tool settings, draw on scratch pad, when your happy with settings, brush size (results)... then you could use your tool on your model. this would also satisfy my request for interactive tool settings.

• Advanced Member
The work over curves is continued. Any suggestions are welcome. Let it be perfect!

Agree ! :)

another suggestion :

Importing Eps files, and project this curve onto the Mesh, using the current view... :)

Yes, i also wanted to ask for it, importing EPS\AI vector files as curves.

I can use SHIFT for constraints but the only problem is that SHIFT is used in pen mode for smoothing, so it will be strange if constrains will work only in curves mode. May be someone have good idea about this?

I think ZBrush behaivor may work well, or maybe (if possible) to use Shift single press for turning on\off constraints and holding Shift for smoothing? About new shortcut for constraints, i think is not really good, one of the great things about 3db i (and others) like is photoshop-like behaivor and shortcuts, but in 3d. Any one used to photoshop will understand 3db logic very fast, and automaticly will know many shortcuts, its making 3db learning curve fast and easy. But, if new shortcut is a only way - personaly i can live with it :)

P.S.

I am now at texture stage of my finishing project for Sela University (3ds max course), and 3db used as a one and only 3D paint software. Project is nearly 2 minutes Sci-Fi animation, i'll send a link when its finished. I realy enjoy using 3db, i like to understand logic of my tools behaivor, as opposed to zbrush which i cant undarstand (i think i need some good DVD session for it, but i have no time).

QUOTE (Andrew Shpagin @ Feb 5 2008, 04:01 PM)

I can use SHIFT for constraints but the only problem is that SHIFT is used in pen mode for smoothing, so it will be strange if constrains will work only in curves mode. May be someone have good idea about this?

how about holding down RMB for constraint?