3DCoat Forums

Photofly: pic to mesh tool

• Advanced Member

I did register and found it's a non native renderer. So you send pics to autodesk and they return the model with texture. Right now I'm testing.

OK! Ability to save objects and it loads into 3dcoat. Wow. It works very well!!!

130771794027.jpg

The diamond in her nosetril was wrongly interpreted and the hairs too, the rest is amazingly accurate.

• Advanced Member

I did register and found it's a non native renderer. So you send pics to autodesk and they return the model with texture.

It sounds like it has a bad workflow, i don't like programs having to be connected to the web to use them for one thing but having to upload loads of content with my slow connection would be really annoying. This technology seems to have some great results though, i look forward to when blender has something like this available.

• Advanced Member

Yes, it's a pity, like microsoft they are protecting their code like this.

One day a guy like Hyppolite or Farsthary or Andrew will say; hey! I can do that!

By the way, I used lowres pics for this test, with about 6 or ten pics it already works.

What happened to the back part of the head? 6 photos from all angles including back sides?

• Advanced Member

The program is ofcourse not good with hair, it was a lightning quick test, It was about 15 or twenty pics maybe but some did'nt get used by the software.

Hair is better to sculpt yourself I guess. I am planning to use this for a sculpture project. I did not find out how to make a full body without getting back the background in 3D, more study needed.

Phil, the holes can be the misinterpretation of shiny things? Anyway, you won't be using Davidscanner anymore will you? Great that you put on the textures too.

Phil, the holes can be the misinterpretation of shiny things? Anyway, you won't be using Davidscanner anymore will you? Great that you put on the textures too.

I probably won't be using David only because I can't afford the pay version, I still think it does a better job if you can buy it. You may be right about the shiny surfaces. Actually I can afford it, I just don't want to spend that much on something I may never use professionally. The texture was just done automatically, I had nothing to do with it.

• Advanced Member

I am thinking 3DC could do this maybe, it already does auto retopo, PTEX for great textures and now with live clay tech you have great mesh optimization. With some Sketchup/MOI style editing also if you added all that technology together it would be amazing.

OK this is the third time I'm trying to "scan" this one object with photofly. It keeps getting to about 50-60% and getting stuck there sometimes in finishes and I have to make some adjustments and reupload, which is alright I guess, but not so alright when it gets stuck.

• 2 weeks later...