3DCoat Forums

3D Printing

nicksc

Can 3DC join separate objects together like a boolean operations, or like meshmixer. also can 3DC give a specified thickness like 3mm to a mesh model. what I mean is, I want to print my model in a stainless infused bronze metal. my problem is the material is very expensive and the less you use the better. So I need to turn my model into a shell, kind of like a cereal bowl, a hollow open end object with a specified thickness. Do you see what I mean.

The images of the model that are attached areis what I want to work on. There are 4 parts to this model, the eyes, face layer, leaf mane layer and round door knocker. I won't to join the eyes, face, and leaf mane parts as one part. then I want to shell the part with a specific thickness like 3mm. the back of the object would be bowl like. also hollowing out the knocker and giving it a specified thickness would be great to. is this posible in 3D Coat.

post-6881-0-00210300-1311126981_thumb.jp

post-6881-0-85864000-1311127005_thumb.jp

merging meshes together is the very nature of voxel sculpting. In fact when you place two even too close together they start merging (unless they are on separate VoxTree layers). I don't know if there is a way to specify a thickness. You can hollow out a model with the Extract Skin command from the VoxTree right-click menu. and you can specify it's thickness, but not in real world measurements as far as I know. There;'s is some kind of measurement system but frankly I find it entirely confusing.

philnolan3d You said that I can hollow out a model with the Extract Skin command. I tried looking for it but can't find it, When I click my right mouse button no menu comes up. I also looked at the voxtree on the right but couldn't find the command there ether. can you help me locate the Extract Skin command?

• Reputable Contributor

philnolan3d You said that I can hollow out a model with the Extract Skin command. I tried looking for it but can't find it, When I click my right mouse button no menu comes up. I also looked at the voxtree on the right but couldn't find the command there ether. can you help me locate the Extract Skin command?

Right-click on the layer you want to affect, and you will have a long list of options. "Extract Skin" is roughly in the middle of all those options.

The Extract Skin command worked perfectly 3DC solved my issue. However I have two new problems. one is when I import my part it decreases the detail of the part. Two when I try to export it 3DC crashes saying that it ran out of memory. I increased the virtual memory to the maximum setting, however it still wont allow me to export my part. I also reduced the polycount to 70% witch is not even worth exporting. any suggestion, thanks for helping.

I'm excited that 3DC can shell my part, it's going to make printing this part possible.

• Reputable Contributor

The Extract Skin command worked perfectly 3DC solved my issue. However I have two new problems. one is when I import my part it decreases the detail of the part. Two when I try to export it 3DC crashes saying that it ran out of memory. I increased the virtual memory to the maximum setting, however it still wont allow me to export my part. I also reduced the polycount to 70% witch is not even worth exporting. any suggestion, thanks for helping.

I'm excited that 3DC can shell my part, it's going to make printing this part possible.

There is a bug/issue with OOM crashes when exporting and such. It has been reported to Andrew and he said he is working on that, and some other similar issues.

• Advanced Member

I have difficulties with the measurementsystem as well, is there someone that did printing from 3DCoat? And who understands how to get the size right?

It is important for loading into shapeways takes at least half an hour and when it has the wrong size you have to do it again and again. :pardon:

• Reputable Contributor

AbnRanger What if I get a more power computer. and change my operating system to windows 7, would that help. Also what is OOM

OOM is just short for "Out of Memory." I was having that issue as well, with plenty of RAM to spare. Hopefully it's fixed with the build Andrew linked to in this thread:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8308&pid=64632&st=40entry64632

It may not be necessary to upgrade your system, but 3D Coat scales really well with your hardware. I would shop around for an SSD Drive to dedicate for your Pagefile/Scratch disk. Windows makes heavy use of the Pagefile, especially when RAM is being taxed. It acts as a prefetch container for RAM. Windows also offloads DATA that is not actively being called upon and stores heavy data files, like video content or 3D Coat Cache Data, into your Pagefile. Think of it as a secondary RAM resource. That's how important it is...if you are using programs like 3D Coat, or major 3D applications. It's crucial in compositing and video editing applications.

Here is a good article on best Bang for your Buck SSD drives:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ssd-caching,2966-2.html

As for RAM, I upgraded from 8GB's to 16GB's last fall, and I can tell a major difference. You can definitely push your sculpts much further when you get over 8GB. It allows you to keep a lot of secondary elements to your model in the scene, such as a Character's clothes, armor, etc. However, if you don't have that much, you can still use a number of 3DC's tools to more efficiently manage your system resources.

Cache to Disk is one of those (little disk icon on each layer). You also have similar functionality to ZBrush's Subtools. If you have a gun/ammo belt for example, and are currently working on the Character himself, you can right-click each layer and save it to a .3b (native 3D Coat) file. You can now delete the layer from the scene (to reduce your RAM consumption) and merge it back in later, when you need it.

You also can drag and drop a layer into the models pallet and it will create an OBJ model with a thumbnail. This also is a way to delete the inactive layer and bring those elements back in, as needed...plus have in a a library to reuse for other projects.

These are the two best ways to preserve your RAM usage, but Cache to Disk will also reduce the amount of RAM you are consuming...just not quite as much.

when I import my model it decreases the detail of the part. how can I import the model at a high quality mesh so I could export it as a high quality model? When I import my model into other programs it doesn't change the mesh. Why does 3DC

• Reputable Contributor

when I import my model it decreases the detail of the part. how can I import the model at a high quality mesh so I could export it as a high quality model? When I import my model into other programs it doesn't change the mesh. Why does 3DC

This video might help explain things a little bit. You can also visit the 3D Coat mainpage, and under the tutorial section, there is a part called "Voxel Video Manual." The General I and II parts, among others, should help you get going. It explains more about increasing the density of the vox tree layer enough BEFORE you hit APPLY or the ENTER key. Otherwise you don't have enough voxels to capture all the details.

http://youtu.be/bD0-bZKNrvU