3DCoat Forums

How to: hard surface voxel sculpting / carve out to set depth

Gian-Reto

• Advanced Member

Hi all

I have 2 questions concerning the 3D Coat Voxel room....

I'm trying to do some environment sculpts and ran into 2 problems with it...

1) when sculpting rock, I find it very hard to get hard edges. It seems to me that 3D Coat sculpting just is not up to the task, but then again, it might be my missing knowledge of the tool. Are there any special tools or a special workflow that make sculpting Rock / Hard Edges easier? Any good videos on the net on that (found a lot for zBrush, but none for 3D Coat)?

2) When I try to sculpt buildings I came across a different problem: I can get the general shape of the building in no time with the primitive objects... but, is there an easy way to carve out windows or doors to a set depth?

I would imagine that there needs to be a way one can set how deep a tool can carve into an Object, but I haven't found a way to achieve that yet. Any ideas?

Thanks for helping out in advance

Gian-Reto

Hi all

1) when sculpting rock, I find it very hard to get hard edges. It seems to me that 3D Coat sculpting just is not up to the task, but then again, it might be my missing knowledge of the tool. Are there any special tools or a special workflow that make sculpting Rock / Hard Edges easier? Any good videos on the net on that (found a lot for zBrush, but none for 3D Coat)?

2) When I try to sculpt buildings I came across a different problem: I can get the general shape of the building in no time with the primitive objects... but, is there an easy way to carve out windows or doors to a set depth?

I would imagine that there needs to be a way one can set how deep a tool can carve into an Object, but I haven't found a way to achieve that yet. Any ideas?

Gian-Reto

I'm still learning all the tricks and techniques in the voxel room myself. Voxels do seem to want to be kind of blob like and organic in 3dCoat but there are a few ways to get hard flat angles and edges. The plane, cut and any of the curve based brush modes combined with the ctrl modifier. You could also build up your forms using primitives. This is just what I've been able figure out on my own so far so someone more experienced may step in with better advice. I think the primitives might be a good solution for your window problem, just place a cube primitive sized to the desired opening shape so that it intersects with the building at the desired depth and hold cntl while pressing enter or apply and it should remove the primitives volume from the side of the building.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi all

Gian-Reto

There are plenty of tools for obtaining hard edges, especially in Surface mode (flatten, chisel etc.). There is the scrape tool and plane tool in Voxel mode..Not to mention using the Pinch tool.

Nevertheless, what will help the most is getting familiarized with the different stroke types (including splines) in the E-Panel (above the tools pallet and appears under your cursor with the E shortcut key). That opens sculpting in 3D Coat in a big way. And yes, you can use the spline tools to punch out whatever you draw and with depth (there is a depth checkbox and parameter control in the E-panel).

One thing that is often overlooked is that some of the best sculpting tools (for ultra high detail) aren't necessarily in the Voxel Workspace...but in the Paint Room (image-based sculpting). You can blend and mask your details there much the same way you do in ZB or MB. Many cast aspersions about the application without even being aware of this.