3DCoat Forums

multiple questions on sculpting architecture

Gian-Reto

• Advanced Member

Hi

I'm now in the process of starting to model some buildings and other architectural models, and for that I miss some tools and skills.... maybe they are right before my eyes and I haven't found them yet!

1) is there any way to copy a change around a model? For example, if I want to model a roman/greek pillar, how can I do the grooves, so that I only have to do it once and its copied around the pillar?

2) For the same pillar, how can I do a "straight" groove?

3) Is there any way to define a negative volume along with the normal positive voxel volume for the merge tool? For example, if I create a door, I'd like to have a negative volume around it so its set into the wall, not on top of it.

4) Is there any way to add an object multiple times over a surface? For example to create a wall with single brick stones?

5) Haven't found a way to use multiple mirror axes... I assume its not possible? Or have I just been to dumb to use it? :)

Thanks for any help

Gian-Reto

• Advanced Member

Question 1

For the copying around part, you could try to use the Axial tool.

What it basically does is instancing around a certain axis, just play around with some parameters its quite simple.. :)

Question 2

When you press shortcut E, you can change the way you use the cursor.. for example you can use a rectangle selction for adding/substracting volume.

I dont really understand question 3, would you like to explain it more in depth please?

Question 4

You can use an .obj as an brush which might be very usefull just press the + button.. :)

Question 5

About multiple mirror axes, it is possible with the Instancer, inside this tool theres a checkbox called put in subtree so it put the instanced object as an child..

The instancer only aplies on the selected object so you can instance the parent including child or just a child, I recommend playing around with some buttons and move things around.. :)

Hope this helps!

• Advanced Member

Okay I need to try these tricks.....

About Question 3: I read somewhere that its possible to define "negative Volumes" along with the normale volumes, these get cut out of any geometry that intersect with it (for example in the case of the volumes for the spaceship parts pack you can download from the 3D coat page)....

• Advanced Member

About Question 3: I read somewhere that its possible to define "negative Volumes" along with the normale volumes, these get cut out of any geometry that intersect with it (for example in the case of the volumes for the spaceship parts pack you can download from the 3D coat page)....

Did you know you can invert all tools when holding down CTRL?

This also works when you import new geometry with the Primitives tool or Merge tool; for example when you import geometry from a obj file with the merge node you need to press Enter/Return to apply it (which basically merges the object with your model, when you hold down CTRL and press Enter/Return it subtracts the .obj from your model.

• Advanced Member

Read the tooltip for the "Respect negative volumes" checkbox in the Merge tool. It looks like any sub-object with a "_negative" at the end of the name gets subtracted first before merging.