3DCoat Forums

paint and retopo room confusion

Hoegbo

hi

I just made my very first model that I have painted and topologized.

it was intended as a test for animation and test runs in unity 3d.

now here is my issue.

I have paintet and topoligized the model. but the sculpting room and UV rooms are empty .

here is what I did

imported mesh from blender -> sculpted -> added polygons on the mesh -> and painted the model when I export from the paint room I 515 000 polys , but there should be about 500

so how do I get the painted mesh and and the topologized mesh to "work " together so to save the work I have done

I'm very new to anything that has to do with modeling and sculpting sp please bear with me.

If I could get some critics and pointers on how to improve the model /paint job I would be very grateful.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8501834/Screen%20shot%202012-02-18%20at%206.33.12%20PM.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8501834/Screen%20shot%202012-02-18%20at%206.52.26%20PM.png

• Advanced Member

Hi there,

I could be that you've painted right ontop of your sculpt mesh instead of retopo mesh, you can check dit by going into the paint room and go to view -> ShowVoxelsInPaintroom if this button is checked then you most probably have been painting ontop of your voxel model.

What you normally do in retopo room is first create topology, create UV's, and then merge it to the paint room.

To create UV's you should take a look to the tools on the left side, theres panel called UV, inside this panel there are two tools: mark seams and edge loop.

When you select one of these tools you can now perform UV commands on your retopo mesh, afterwards you can press unwrap and you will be able to see your UV's.

When the UV process is done you should go to retopo --> merge for per pixel painting (microvertex/ptex depends on what you want to do with it but for unity I suggest per pixel).

I hope this helps, otherwise Im glad to be able to help some more..

Funny character you have there btw.. :)

Cheers

Doh!

I had painted on the voxels as the view voxels in paint room was checked.

ah well I guess thats a good thing since I discovered the image color picker :D and can experiment a bit with that.

I just love this program

thanks once more for the replying. good to know there are people willing to help out a new guy.

funny was what I was aiming for in that character so thanks :)

If you still want to use the retopo mesh you've created and the painting you've done on the previous mesh, you can bake those details. With the painted mesh visible, go back to the retopo room then go to the Retopo menu and select one of the Merge> options (choose whichever method suits your needs, or whichever method you already painted with). Then you'll have that mesh in the paint room with all the previously painted details, just on your new retopo mesh.

ah thanks Geothefaust. I repainted the model (now I have 2 textures for it which is good for me)

the good thing about 3d coat is that there is always a simple solution for everything ( from a beginner perspective) and a great community :)

thanks again for the help.

-roger

• 5 months later...

In retopo room I do merge with NM

And then can see some layers in paint room

Layer0 - Opacity Standard Blend

Baked Occlussion - Opacity Modulate2X

A layer named with the voxel layer name - Opacity Multiply

NormalMap - Opacity Normal map

----------------------------

When i try to retouch the generated normalmap painting over this layer using paint brush/depth option, nothing happends

If i add a new layer using Opacity Standard Blend and paint over using paint brush/depth option, new normalmap modifications are added with option depth/add depth.

- The question:

Can i paint over the NormalMap - Opacity Normal map generated when i do merge with NM ?

Or need to make a new layer to add more normalpaint ?

can i merge those 2 layers with different blending options ?

Must i export normal map or to use texture baking tool ?

ty in advance