3DCoat Forums

netting?

shokan

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

Been a long time since I've been here and I can see 3DCoat has come a long way since 3D-Brush!

Is it possible to make a section of fisherman's netting using 3DC?post-437-0-80707000-1329609761_thumb.jpg

It will be viewed from a distance, so the twist texture to the individual strands is not necessary. Hopefully it will not be a large polygon count.

Thanks.

• Advanced Member

It should be possible to create a model like this, you could model one section as a perfect square using the curve tool and instance it a gazillion times using the instancer until you got a large net.

Technically they should be able to connect with eachother, if you model it properley it should not be a problem.

Afterwards you could merge em to one voxel volume, use the move tool to make it look less perfect.

If polycount is important and its being viewed from a distance, I recommend using a texture + alpha map, if im correct there should be a free tileable fishnet mask in one of these resources from the 3DCoat download page:

=2"]http://3d-coat.com/download/3dcpack/file-list/?tx_neofileshare_pi4[cat]=2

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

You do realize that you can invert that image in Photoshop (so the mesh is white and the background is black), save that version, then use it with the Logo tool. In just a couple of clicks you've got a grid of fishnet. You will probably want to click SMOOTH ALL (at the bottom of the tools pallet) a few times, so it will round the edges for you. If needed, you can also deform the net with the Pose Tool (recommend the new Freeform deformation cage).

• Like 1