3DCoat Forums

[VOXELS] How do you smooth ?

Carlosan

smooth tool and press shift is the same ?

sometime smooth works over the surface very hard, it change all the voxel geometry destroying details

but sometimes i try to smooth voxel object without any success

i switched to surface, or used tsmooth... no luck

i cant understand the logic or consistency about this tool

show me the way !!! :D

Please enlighten me :wacko:

ty !

• Advanced Member

Well that's a limitation to the smooth for voxels... the lowest your voxels.. the smoothier and indeed destryoing all details.. BUT a too high voxel .. and the smooth is almost inefficient.. so it's directly realted to the Voxel density me think... am I wrong...?

• Advanced Member

Well that's a limitation to the smooth for voxels... the lowest your voxels.. the smoothier and indeed destryoing all details.. BUT a too high voxel .. and the smooth is almost inefficient.. so it's directly realted to the Voxel density me think... am I wrong...?

That sounds right to me. ZBrush is the same, and possibly Mudbox too. In those cases you just lower the subd level to make stronger changes, then go back to the top one. The closest thing in 3DC? Press the downgrade (aka proxy) button in the VoxTree, smooth, then press it again when your done. Note that if you're working with voxels, doing this will change it to surface.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I find the smoothing increments annoying when holding down the RMB and dragging up/down. It changes in 3% to 4% increments which is too much on a low resolution mesh, and not enough for a high res one. I propose 1% for low res, 3% for mid res, and 5% for high res, or let the user set their own increments, or change the strength algorithm internally so that 50% at low res feels exactly the same at high res. Depth is even worse. A tiny little movement of the mouse at 0% makes it jump to 9% or more. With the Wacom it's worse, jumping from 0% to 16% or 19%. This feature loses it's convenience and forces me to manually type in my percentages or click/drag on the functions name (which does change in 1% increments).

ty all for the help ! :)

so... there is a fixed relationship in between object size and voxels density ? :blink:

- Is there a fixed voxels location in space -like ppp in graphics?- let me say... every one grid you have 100 voxels weight and 100 voxels height ? :huh:

object is small, less voxels, smooth is hard

object is big, more voxels, smooth is inefficient

- or... dont care about the object size, you always can resample it B)

??

-> if resample is the answer... which is the best amount of voxels -for an object- to work fine... 1M is ok ?

------------------------------------------------------

Troubleshooting:

- Press the downgrade (aka proxy) button in the VoxTree, smooth, then press it again when your done.

I do it and was exactly was i need but... when i go back to voxels nothing changed :wacko:

------------------------------------------------------

- Focal shift - Falloff - Depth - Smoothing

How Smooth work with this parameters ?

Regards !

• Advanced Member
so... there is a fixed relationship in between object size and voxels density ? :blink:

yes and no - once you set your voxel resolution resizing does not change it's rez. However if you create a voxel primitive - the size in relation to the grid does define it's initial rez.

if resample is the answer... which is the best amount of voxels -for an object- to work fine... 1M is ok

That's a tricky question as voxel resolutions high or low can be used to your advantage depending on your goal.

A simplified approach would be to dial certain settings up for higher rez voxels and lower them for low rez - smoothing ratios and depth settings often being a case in point.

Troubleshooting:

- Press the downgrade (aka proxy) button in the VoxTree, smooth, then press it again when your done.

I do it and was exactly was i need but... when i go back to voxels nothing changed

proxy has best effect on neighboring form changes - attempting to keep detail where it finds it yet allowing for major form changes and fast - smoothing can be used on proxy but it's effect is more sculptural and less how you might be expecting when switching back to full rez.

http://vimeo.com/31587778

• Like 2

hmmm i see... very very very clear ty

i used to begin with a too high voxel following the photo reference size... thats was the fault

i scaled it at 0.5% and everything is ok

TTTTYYYY ALL !!!!!!!!!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Contributor

yes and no - once you set your voxel resolution resizing does not change it's rez. However if you create a voxel primitive - the size in relation to the grid does define it's initial rez.

But its not just Voxel tools effected by scale of object, Surface tools are similar, if the scale of the object is too small it can cause the Tools to skip, Smooth is probably the worst effected. LC tools are quite bad for this do to the nature of LC for adding more detail then you would expect them to work at a smaller scale. but often as you shrink the brush size to work more detail in the tools become more and more skippy. Simply scale up the Item to a bigger global size and they then pickup performance.