3DCoat Forums

Picture as a reference

• Advanced Member
Please explain... What is a picture as a reference? How it differs from materials and image mode in palette?

Hello

it is same as standard painting, you have an original object and your canvas, nothing special. Yes, your "projection material system" is simply amazing, but it is not same. I use sometimes a simple photo side by side my editor window - an original of my own work.... For a reference...

That's all what I need :-)

Cheers Pavel

PS: maybe I'm wrong, but:

Is picture in window in color picker allways stratched?

Is there a chance to zoom this picture? and adjust a size of this?

• Advanced Member

When 3DC will get option for loading multiply objects into scene this task will be easy, you'll need simply to put your reference as difuse texture on primitive plane. I think the only thing you can add to it is possibility to make geometry plane in size and aspect ratio of user chosen bitmap, then making plane with reference on it will be just 2 mouse clicks away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I would also be very interested in having the option to show images in the viewport, serving as visual references only. In addition I wished to have a quad viewport layout (eg. Top/Front/Right/Perspective)available.

The idea is to have matching reference- images placed in each of these windows and to use them as orientation when creating a new object from a crude basemesh, using the sculpt tools.

Maybe these images could be added as special layers which could be turned on and off. Image viewers would not help at that point.

As I'd be interested to use 3DC for the conceptual stages of product design I'd apreciate every addition which allows for working with greater precision.

Like for instance snapping to the grid or working in symmetry with objects which cross the symmetry axis - both does not seem possible right now, but I could be wrong.

Greetings, Holger

Here you can see a shoe, which has entirely been created in Mudbox. I found it interesting to use such HiRes mesh-objects (created in 3DC) as 3D references in technical programs in order

to recreate and refine the concept with Nurbs-based tools. <a href="http://www.mudbox3d.com/gallery/pages/Tibor_shoe.html" target="_blank">http://www.mudbox3d.com/gallery/pages/Tibor_shoe.html</a>