3DCoat Forums

Serial number and hardware locking

Andrew Shpagin

• Advanced Member
UVLayout uses that strategy i think, Im all for it. People who steal software so casually shouldn't have it so easy

Yes it does but can it be used on more than one computer at a time?

This gets quite annoying because the software is updated often, and that means I can't use it until I can get an internet connection (no, I'm not on the internet 24/7 )

If you do not uninstall the previous version you should find that the update finds the license and registers,although without an internet connection you may not be able to get the

update in the first place :)

• Advanced Member
UVLayout uses that strategy i think, Im all for it. People who steal software so casually shouldn't have it so easy

What strategy UVLayout use?

====================================

It is mad, but usually people who steal software getting it much easer then those who pay for it. IMHO best method to fight pirates it is simply to ignore them, then you have not to spent your time, money and powers as developer to write new protection algoritms that will be cracked anyway, hurting legal users and making new interesting challenge to crackers by doing it. If there would-be some way to stop piracy, i am 1000% sure then giants such as Microsoft, Apple, Autodesk etc. where using it.

• Advanced Member
What strategy UVLayout use?

====================================

It is mad, but usually people who steal software getting it much easer then those who pay for it. IMHO best method to fight pirates it is simply to ignore them, then you have not to spent your time, money and powers as developer to write new protection algoritms that will be cracked anyway, hurting legal users and making new interesting challenge to crackers by doing it. If there would-be some way to stop piracy, i am 1000% sure then giants such as Microsoft, Apple, Autodesk etc. where using it.

Uvlayout crashes constantly when your using a cracked key (I'd like to ephasise that im using a dongle myself). If you read the UVL forums you will see lots of posts complaining about crashes, a crash log is posted and the dev uses lots of "...." in his response, it must be so maddening that these people steal his work then look for support :(.

On top of this i've seen it happening, Alot of my mates are students, I don't think any of them has ever purchased a bit of software in their lives. Long story short they never got uvlayout running smoothly. I could however plug in my dongle and it was smooth as silk on the same machines they were using. That i think is the reward for paying for your software :)

Make cheap limited but functional Edu licenses for the poor students and let the people who pay the bigger prices have portability and options.... and give the thieves what they deserve. Its not like they dont have free options these days

• Advanced Member
On top of this i've seen it happening, Alot of my mates are students, I don't think any of them has ever purchased a bit of software in their lives. Long story short they never got uvlayout running smoothly. I could however plug in my dongle and it was smooth as silk on the same machines they were using. That i think is the reward for paying for your software :)

Well, i think it is simply bad crack. I seen peoples (students) running cracked UVLayout without any problem, and i also got files saved by such version sended to me by mail, and they are 100% ok. I agree with what you say about students, it is clear. When i see random student with old laptop, because he cant buy new one, but with softwares that cost like a whole renderfarm altogether installed on that laptop, we both know from where this software comes :-)

Not to say that its ok, to use cracks if you are a student, but what is really bad is when peoples making profit from cracked software, it is a real crime.

• Advanced Member

I'm perfectly fine with the way its now. I dont need it tied to a dongle.

Case in point the company I work for recently bought Final Render from cebas.

After installing the ip clamp you will input the serial and connect to the net to get a license. But the funny thing is its not hardware locked to the hardware ID. its actually locked to the lan adapter. there's a memo that in case there's hardware failure they will give you another license. just like 3dc. but I'm not so sure how fast they'll give it out.

• Advanced Member
Well, i think it is simply bad crack. I seen peoples (students) running cracked UVLayout without any problem, and i also got files saved by such version sended to me by mail, and they are 100% ok. I agree with what you say about students, it is clear. When i see random student with old laptop, because he cant buy new one, but with softwares that cost like a whole renderfarm altogether installed on that laptop, we both know from where this software comes :-)

Not to say that its ok, to use cracks if you are a student, but what is really bad is when peoples making profit from cracked software, it is a real crime.

yeah there really is no excuse for company to crack software :(

• Advanced Member

Apart from the "486sx laptop running 3dsmax 2009" telltale symptom, it has been my experience that pirate users rarely (if at all) get proficient in the apps they are pirating.

Why? No customer support, no instruction manuals. Sure, there must be exceptions, but in a niche market like 3d modelling/rendering/etc, you don't buy maya today and next week try houdini, and there to softimage and so on. I think most of us don't buy software with our pocket money, sacrifices must be made, it is an investment. And you see that investment turned to mmm "respect" with legitimate buyers.

There are even legitimate autocad clones that are free (for non-commercial use) or cost a 10th of autocad.

And for 3d, there is always blender.

So back to topic.

I think it is in the interest of everybody using a legitimate version of 3d-coat to see that Andrew protects his program the best way he can find. This will assure he gets rewarded for his work, and a happy Andrew makes a better 3d-coat.

I am an expert on losing dongles and usb-thingies, so I would prefer another mechanism. But if it has to be a dongle, it is ok anyway.

• Advanced Member
Apart from the "486sx laptop running 3dsmax 2009" telltale symptom, it has been my experience that pirate users rarely (if at all) get proficient in the apps they are pirating.

Why? No customer support, no instruction manuals. Sure, there must be exceptions, but in a niche market like 3d modelling/rendering/etc, you don't buy maya today and next week try houdini, and there to softimage and so on. I think most of us don't buy software with our pocket money, sacrifices must be made, it is an investment. And you see that investment turned to mmm "respect" with legitimate buyers.

There are even legitimate autocad clones that are free (for non-commercial use) or cost a 10th of autocad.

And for 3d, there is always blender.

So back to topic.

I think it is in the interest of everybody using a legitimate version of 3d-coat to see that Andrew protects his program the best way he can find. This will assure he gets rewarded for his work, and a happy Andrew makes a better 3d-coat.

I am an expert on losing dongles and usb-thingies, so I would prefer another mechanism. But if it has to be a dongle, it is ok anyway.

I know plenty of people who have learnt from cracked software, some of who now use it legal & professionally for a company. I think softimage have the right idea, The mod tool is brilliant for learning legally as was GMAX

• Advanced Member
I know plenty of people who have learnt from cracked software, some of who now use it legal & professionally for a company. I think softimage have the right idea, The mod tool is brilliant for learning legally as was GMAX

Yes, exactly. You know, i remember as when i came to my first max class, teacher told us about software basics, i mean how to install and configure it. Then we asked how to get it for home PC, in he is send us to autodesk website. Back to home, i browsed to Autodesk website for purchase 3ds max, you know - i though its will cost a few bucks, i mean under 100$ for sure, i never meat more expensive sw before, WinXP installation where the most expensive sw i ever buy, so when i seen Max's price tag i droped my jaw on the flour. You simply cant expect student to pay 6000$ for sw peace he is just started to learn and he is not even sure it will bring him back single dollar. I think PLE versions its a must for company want to stop (partly) cracking of their product, especially talking about such expensive packages as max, maya, xsi etc.

• Advanced Member
You think Max is pricey for a student? When I was in school we learned Boujou, then I checked out the price. $10,000 for camera tracking software! It's a shame, I don't think GMax is available anymore.

max is available for about 100 for students. Free is better tho ;)

• Advanced Member
max is available for about €100 for students. Free is better tho ;)

Really? Hm, sounds good to me. I never heard about it, i know GMax was available to anyone once, but they stoped it a few years ago, when i started to learn CG and Max specifically GMax was already discounted.

Ouh, i think i know what you are talking about, to get max for that price you have to provide student's ID, its a problem if you are not a "real" student, i mean if the place you are learning in it is not a propper university, also this offer only for a few specific countries i think (i am not sure in it)

Well as a very new user I would prefer it not to be hardware tied - but in these days of large usb sticks it isn't the issue it once was - I can move files around with ease. I'm waiting for LW and my dongle to arrive...

Defeat piracy - nope not possible - I have some sympathy for people when there are outrageous price tags and no PLE's. But 3D Coat is hardly expensive (in particular as we are talking 3D ware). The other issues (in general) is save disabling demo's - very bad idea - who in their right mind is going to create someting in a 3D app and then wave it goodbye.

Clearly there has to be some form of protection. But as we all know we could download cracked versions of virtually any of the current crop of releases with ease. If the likes of Adobe, Autodesk etc get ripped off so easily - with all the resources they have - it really is unavoidable.

Well as a very new user I would prefer it not to be hardware tied - but in these days of large usb sticks it isn't the issue it once was - I can move files around with ease. I'm waiting for LW and my dongle to arrive...

Defeat piracy - nope not possible - I have some sympathy for people when there are outrageous price tags and no PLE's. But 3D Coat is hardly expensive (in particular as we are talking 3D ware). The other issues (in general) is save disabling demo's - very bad idea - who in their right mind is going to create someting in a 3D app and then wave it goodbye.

Clearly there has to be some form of protection. But as we all know we could download cracked versions of virtually any of the current crop of releases with ease. If the likes of Adobe, Autodesk etc get ripped off so easily - with all the resources they have - it really is unavoidable.

Your LW shouldn't take too long I started a job at a studio one day and they didn't have an extra copy for me so they ordered one that day and I started on my laptop. 2 days later I come in in the morning and the IT guy hands me a box and says "this is for you". Of course it was the LW and I had to install it. :mellow:

I agree on your other points. No saving is just stupid. Interestingly I read an interview with someone at Adobe a while back where he said that they don't really care about the individuals pirating Photoshop, it's the big studios that bothers them. Of course that is very different from Andrew and Pilgway.

Your LW shouldn't take too long I started a job at a studio one day and they didn't have an extra copy for me so they ordered one that day and I started on my laptop. 2 days later I come in in the morning and the IT guy hands me a box and says "this is for you". Of course it was the LW and I had to install it. :mellow:

I agree on your other points. No saving is just stupid. Interestingly I read an interview with someone at Adobe a while back where he said that they don't really care about the individuals pirating Photoshop, it's the big studios that bothers them. Of course that is very different from Andrew and Pilgway.

Oh I understand that, and it must be very galling when you are putting in so much effort. Clearly what is a mere irritation to the major players can really effect the cash flow for the independent. The trouble is people do not see it as theft, the guys that routinely do this would not walk into their local software store and shop-lift the same item from the shelves; no that would seem like a crime. :unsure:

I just wonder if the time and effort spent trying to prevent cyber theft actually offers any pay-back; or if spending the same same resource in advertising or product development would offer a better ROI. Of course I don't know the cost involved on the security side, but I guess good security is not inexpensive. :mellow:

Heh I hope you are right about the LW - I am not the most patient of people when waiting for my new toys ;)