3DCoat Forums

Texturing high poly

Lorath

Hey everybody,

I've recently dug into concepting with 3DCoat and I am somewhat stuck now.

What I want to do is creat very quick mockups and concepts that I can later use to create concept arts. So, the models I create aren't going to be used further, they do not have to be specific, they're just there for quick rendering in keyshot which will be overpainted heavily.

I made a quick concept of a plane and I want to texture it with 3Dcoat so I can export the model and textures for Keyshot. It is very high poly and I don't want to fiddle around with retopo and reparing the model, since it won't be used later. Is there a simple way to export the model with textures that keyshot can handle it ? I managed to do this with an terrain heightmap before. I imported the map, textured it roughly and was able to export the objects&textures in the keyshot advanced export-preset after I had to retopo.

Is there a quicker way to finish up a model with it's textures that can be used for keyshot later ?

This is the model. I know how to paint it but even if it is painted, I cant just simply export the obj and textures for keyshot.

Unbenannt22222.JPG

This quickest way for me, right now, is to export my model with a reduced poly count and import it again for painting uv mesh per pixel. But while reducing polygons the model itself is exported with artifacts and holes in it. Can nobody give me a hint where to start or do I really have to retopo my model ?

This is the end result by the way. Rendered in Keyshot.

Environmental2_2.jpg

Environmental2.jpg

The latest version have the option to Retopo via decimation (RMB over the layer)

Using autoseams or sharpseams commands -in retoporoom-, you can then bake any PBR surface shader over the model.

Retopo via decimation.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

It appears that Keyshot only supports vertex color in the connected Bridge from ZBrush to Keyshot, well that was as of April 2017 from my reading. I do not own Keyshot.

If true that is unfortunate as you can vertex paint (polypaint) in 3DC. Then export the vertex color in a few formats. I use the Ply format when importing into Blender. 

Vertex paint is supported in surface mode. Switch to the paint room and use the regular paint tools there including smart materials. Also no depth information is added when using vertex painting, only color and gloss.

The draw back of vertex color is that no glossness is exported. That is a limitation of using Vertex color. There is a workaround to get the glossness but might not work in all cases. 

Carlosan metioned (Retopo via Decimation) feature that has been added to beta version 4.7.29  You could test that. It is a newer feature so there still might be a bug or two, not saying there is but new features tend to have a bug or two laying around. 

If you have not done any baking to the paint room, that is another topic. 

Rule of thumb for Baking. Have a clean model. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A easier method is do your vertex painting in 3DC. You avoid decimation, retopoing, baking to the paint room and any artifacts you encountered. To get a quality vertex paint requires a high vertex count model which your appears to be. 

This way you can get the fulll use of a AO and curvature map in conjunction with a smart material but no depth as explained earlier.

You can do hand painting as well.

Once done switch to the Render room and render the scene with the alpha channel. 

Side Note: Any extra detail depth can be added in the sculpt room.

Render your background scene in Keyshot and then composite the two together in Photoshop or the software you use. There might of course be some directional light touching up on the model as it was rendered using 3DC  lighting.  There are also relighting tutorials out there too using Photoshop.

You mention that you did a lot of over painting in your workflow so compositing work should not be a problem.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

If you are going to render in 3dcoat with an alpha channel I would recommend doing it a lot larger than you require as personally I have found the alpha to not be great for me. It leaves a "fuzz" around the edge whether you anti alias or not.  So you can limit the badness by increasing the render size and reducing later.