3DCoat Forums

New to 3D Coat, just curious on these criterias

Makkahn28

Hi. Just curious, when will Ver. 5 be released roughly? Hoping NOT too soon, BUT within the next 3-6  months

Also, How similar or different is 3D Coat from ZBrush? Like the Lighting effects, functions?

Is there a Round table in 3D Coat, like ZBrush when wanting to display works?

Just curious, as I am in Game Program that will be using 3D Coat instead of ZBrush

• Reputable Contributor

I think Andrew plans to introduce 4.8 soon, but it's really just a culmination of the features developed in the ongoing Beta, since 4.7. He tries to make sure it's good and stable, and I'm not sure exactly what he plans to add between now and then. I hope the Renderman integration will include a shadow catching Smart Material and/or PBR shader, and that Rendeman's interactive mode is enabled. That would be a really big addition to 3D Coat, for that release. Renderman looks so good and the new AMD Ryzen 7 CPU's churn right through the renders.

• Reputable Contributor

Here is an earlier thread back in January about 3DC and Zbrush. There have been added features since then.

Though lengthy still does not cover all areas. You said you are involved game making so 3DC is a application that can import ,sculpt, retopo, bake, paint with Smart PBR materials or just hand painting and export to various formats.

It has a turntable feature, and you can make any kind of platform for your creations to stand on. 

You can create your own preset brushes based off the current ones and there is a general surface mode brush with lots of parameters for creating your own brushes. I have both voxel presets brushes and use Artman's surface mode preset brushes which I added a few of my own to. In the picture on the left is the General clay brush with all the settings create your own brushes off of.  You can create presets off the other brushes as well choosing alphas and different setttings. In the picture for the presets, it only shows a small portions of Artman's surface mode preset brushes that come with 3DC. If you do not see your preset panel, it is found under the Windows---Popups menu

Both applications have their strengths and weak areas. 

brushes_presets.JPG

Edited by digman
Corrections