3DCoat Forums

Hello :)

R3T.R0

Hello, I'm a new user and I'm thinking about buying 3D Coat from Steam. I've used Blender before, but 3D Coat seems like it gives me some possibilities which Blender didn't gave me.

My questions:

1.What are the exactly differences between 3D Coat and 3D Coat Professional?

I know that the Professional Version got "ultimate set of 3D Coat tools and features" and I receive the reights to use it commercially, but what are these tools and features?

2. When I buy 3D Coat (the normal version) I am allowed to create TF2 items? Because "if" they would be accepted, I would get money, so is that commercially?

• Advanced Member

1 the non-commercial version is limited in size of the texture you can save out (2k max) and limited to 7 layers (I believe that means in the paint room) but in painting spaceships and environment textures I've not needed even 7 layers so you should be ok. Really the biggest thing is the commercial license.

2. I don't know, but if it involves currency exchange I imagine it falls under commercial use. I heard of some people making a lot of money off tf2 items. However you can make the items and if/when they get accepted you can upgrade to commercial license for something like $250 (the difference in cost between versions)

• Advanced Member

All the features are identical,apart from what David said.I bought the "educational" version to see if it was a good "fit" for me,and also as I have never earned a bean from my cg stuff I think that counts as "hobby" though last week I could have done with a 4k map! I think I will migrate to the "pro" version in the future,cash permitting.But all you pay is the difference, so you have nothing to lose have you ? Maybe get the "Edu " version...see how you like it first ,then upgrade if you start making a ton of cash!

( what is tf2 by the way?)

Hey, thanks for the answers :)

TF2 is a FPS in a cartoon/comic graphic. It's free to play and it makes a lot fun to play :) I want to create an item because the idea behind it is pretty unique. (It's available on Steam)

Before I forget, I've read that "

Everyone who buys 3D-Coat V3 in October 2012 will obtain free upgrade to 3D-Coat V4 !" at the Buy Now Page. So I am not the best in English, so:

If I buy the Steam version, do I get still updates or something?

If I buy it from the site after the October, does that mean that if I want V4 i have to buy it?

Is there something like Add-Ons in 3D Coat like Blender? If yes, are they free or do I have to pay?

• Reputable Contributor

Hey, thanks for the answers :)

TF2 is a FPS in a cartoon/comic graphic. It's free to play and it makes a lot fun to play :) I want to create an item because the idea behind it is pretty unique. (It's available on Steam)

Before I forget, I've read that "

Everyone who buys 3D-Coat V3 in October 2012 will obtain free upgrade to 3D-Coat V4 !" at the Buy Now Page. So I am not the best in English, so:

If I buy the Steam version, do I get still updates or something?

If I buy it from the site after the October, does that mean that if I want V4 i have to buy it?

Is there something like Add-Ons in 3D Coat like Blender? If yes, are they free or do I have to pay?

It should be worded a bit better, and Andrew has mentioned that anyone who bought a seat in August and forward, would get the V4 upgrade (for your particular version...EDU or Commercial) that due to be released soon.

• Contributor

If you are going to make stuff for TF2, then check out this thread by Spiraloid (Bay Raitt). Spiraloid works for Valve, which is the company which made TF2.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8758&st=0&p=68074&hl=spiraloid&fromsearch=1entry68074

Also check out the Source Filmmaker and the Source game engine. Lots of potential there.