3DCoat Forums

LOD approach

ajz3d

• Contributor

What's the best approach to multiple levels of LOD in 3D Coat?

Multiple baking with different subdivision levels and then exporting hi-res meshes of each bake from paint room to a file, while reusing textures painted once (on the highest subdivision bake)?

Sorry if I don't sound too clear. I slept for only one hour today.

• Contributor

Let's say I've got two meshes: the low poly (result of retopologisation) and super-high poly one that came from the Voxel Room.

I understand that to get multiple LOD meshes, say three, one needs to bake at least two times - with different subdivision.

So, for example (and for simplification's sake I'll talk about only several polys here) if a retopo mesh is made from 6 quads what one have to do is:

1. Bake with subdivision of 24 then save the subdivided mesh as LOD2

2. Go back to Retopo Room and bake with subdivision of 96 (the next bigger subdivision available) then save the subdivided mesh as LOD1.

3. Use retopo mesh as subdivision as LOD3.

4. Bake with the highest subdivision possible (to provide better normal map baking) and paint textures on the high poly result. Export the textures for use by all three LODs. Do not use this high-poly model to anything except this.

Would this be a correct workflow?

• 4 months later...
  • Contributor

If you're referring to LOD models for games, then unless LOD meshes have the same (or very similar) UV layouts, transferring textures through baking is the only solution here I believe.

But, if you're referring to my post #6 and we're not discussing game models, then all LOD models have UVs and topology preserved (because it's only the subdivision that differs them), so they all can use the same textures. However I reconsidered this approach and found out that it's better to use adaptive subdivision (a.k.a. subdivision approximation) in render time instead. Saves some unnecessary work and is more efficient during rendering (especially if subdivision takes screen space into consideration). If LOD was to be used only for viewport display purposes (in heavier scenes), proxies or bounding boxes may be better in it.

Edited by ajz3d