3DCoat Forums

Please help if you can.

I'm trying to get better at deforming. I use lightwave 3D with plans on creating adjustment maps in 3D Coat to help with deforming. I havn't done it yet because i don't know how. I learned about this method from friends. They said to create a low poly mesh and sculpt over it. They say it's the best way.

Does anyone knows where i can find a tutorial on creating adjustment maps for deforming?

w3_zps15b71a0d.jpg

DEFORM-2_zps2d81acec.jpg

DEFORM-1_zps08ee3f7c.jpg

w2_zpsd8862a6c.jpg

Morphs work fine with bones. just open the Object properties, geometry tab, and set the Subdivision Order to Last, or at least After Morphing. I usually just set it to Last.

I have all of that that setup. Is there a tutorial on this? I've looked everywhere.

OK I created a simple arm, just a tube with some joints.

05.14.2013-20.48.png

And gave it a morph called Muscle.Bulge.

05.14.2013-20.49.png

Then in Layout I added 3 bones, selected them and hit R to rest and activate them. I set Subdivision Order to last and added Morph MIxer. That's all.

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/igJ77pgvAPN

• Contributor

Well, I never had to use blendshapes a.k.a. morphs to correct skin deformations. I don't know what Lightwave is capable of, but I'd try one or more of the following (most simple solutions come first):

1. Relocate the shoulder joint to the local center of mass or, by trial and error, try to find the sweet spot that works for you.

2. Re-skin the shoulder area properly.

3. Use influence object(s) to correct the deformation.

4. Take a closer look and alter (if necessary) the shoulder topology.

5. Maybe add an additional shoulder joint(s) and see what happens?

6. Add a muscle system to the shoulder area.

7. And only as the last resort - I'd use blendshapes/morphs or adjustment maps (I've never heard about the latter).

Just my 5 cents.

Edited by ajz3d