3DCoat Forums

articy: draft SE on Steam

Hi all.

Thought I'd mention articy:draft SE is on sale through the end of the week on Steam. It's a really great visual game design tool with flow charts and more. It's a pretty great tool if you're designing games, writing stories, and I've even used it for just the flow chart aspect to design my programming projects.

It is not a programming tool or game engine. This is purely for design.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230780/

• Contributor

Very interesting, at work we use something similar called "Resolve" (inhouse tool), but this one looks much nicer on the eye (Resolve is really a programmer/project flow tool, they don't care if it's ugly as long as it shows the roadmap/required parts in code flow). Thanks for the heads up !

I saw this when it came out on steam initially and wondered if I would actually use it, because it looks like a level of organisation that could be useful for most people, and yet, with me just making still images up until now, I wonder how much it would just be sat on my hard drive and not in use.

I wonder if it's more useful for a single individual than just drawing up a flow chart, or making a list etc.

Very interesting, at work we use something similar called "Resolve" (inhouse tool), but this one looks much nicer on the eye (Resolve is really a programmer/project flow tool, they don't care if it's ugly as long as it shows the roadmap/required parts in code flow). Thanks for the heads up !

NP. :) Too bad Resolve is inhouse only, I'm always interested in software like this. I've used a few other tools for "mindmapping", roadmap for my personal projects, I even have used a local install of Wordpress for it, but nothing has really give quite exactly what this one does. At least visually, that is. It lets you really organize the project with a nice asthetic look to everything. I saw another person using it for a novel even. Kind of neat.

I saw this when it came out on steam initially and wondered if I would actually use it, because it looks like a level of organisation that could be useful for most people, and yet, with me just making still images up until now, I wonder how much it would just be sat on my hard drive and not in use.

I wonder if it's more useful for a single individual than just drawing up a flow chart, or making a list etc.

I'd say it really depends on the complexity of the project. I've had a few projects that were so large in scope that this tool would really have helped. Instead I used Wordpress and excel. Which wasn't all bad, but it wasn't that great either.

I wouldn't spend the money on it though, unless you really need it to organize your project.

One thing I've found so far using it, is that it almost makes it fun to do the planning and design stage. Compared to using something like excel at least, it makes it fun.

• Advanced Member

Hi Javis, as you mention people also using it to write novels with that tool and you are (like me) alßways on the look for interesting tools, I thought I mention FreeMind. It is different from the tool mentioned here but I use it for planing almost everything like webpages, articles and all the courses I prepare for teaching, magazines or DVDs. I like it as it works perfectly along with rhe chaotic artistic mind.

Hi puntoit!

Absolutely cool. I remember checking that one out a few years ago, if I remember the name correctly. It's a great tool! Here's the link for anyone curious about it: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemind/?source=directory

EDIT: What kind of courses do you teach, out of curiosity? Sorry if I am being too intrusive.