3DCoat Forums

Unable to Force Quit 3D-Coat without OS restart

Anytime I get a spinning beach ball in 3D-Coat and attempt to force quit, my computer freezes and I need to restart. The scene could be really simple and light like a small voxel object under 200,000 tris with no textures and I still have this problem.

Overall, v4 is more stable than v3, but this problem still occurs.

Build: v4.0.03(GL64)

Hardware: Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz

Hi

I have the same OS X 10.8.4 on an imac

I can reproduce a similar crash using the split tool in the voxel room:

Cut a volume once, select child volume, cut it > freeze...

This does not occur when I first rearrange the volumes and bring the child to the root level !

All in all, stability is great, this is so far the only reproducable bug I've encountered... Keep up the good work!

Anytime I get a spinning beach ball in 3D-Coat and attempt to force quit, my computer freezes and I need to restart.

For me every v4 crash has frozen the computer and required a hard reset.

I have the same OS X 10.8.4 on an imac

Regarding freezes. The bug that bytemann has described manifests itself and is always reproducible on build 4.0.03. Tried it on iMac with Mac OS X 10.8.3 dozens of times. “Force Quit” doesn’t freeze the whole system when spinning ball appears. Maybe there are some other factors like specific application on the background, or administrative rights on 3D-Coat run? If you start 3D-Coat 4.0.03 (with the split voxels bug) and select the biggest voxel sphere, then do Objects/Split on the sphere, then select the child, then do again Object/Split on the child and get the spinning ball, then right click on the 3D-Coat icon on the “Dock” and click “Force Quit” does the whole system freeze? Do you see the standard Mac OS X bug report dialog with “Ignore” and “Report...” buttons?

Regarding freezes. The bug that bytemann has described manifests itself and is always reproducible on build 4.0.03. Tried it on iMac with Mac OS X 10.8.3 dozens of times. “Force Quit” doesn’t freeze the whole system when spinning ball appears. Maybe there are some other factors like specific application on the background, or administrative rights on 3D-Coat run? If you start 3D-Coat 4.0.03 (with the split voxels bug) and select the biggest voxel sphere, then do Objects/Split on the sphere, then select the child, then do again Object/Split on the child and get the spinning ball, then right click on the 3D-Coat icon on the “Dock” and click “Force Quit” does the whole system freeze? Do you see the standard Mac OS X bug report dialog with “Ignore” and “Report...” buttons?

Thanks for responding Sergyi.

I did as requested and still get the system freeze. I don't get an OS X Bug Report dialog. I've tried this with an Admin and non-Admin user account.

Other observations:

- My GC is an NVIDIA GTX 285. Maybe the hardware or driver is the issue?

- My only Console log note is ([0x0-0x242242].pilgway.-D-Coat[5600]) Exited: Terminated

- In Safe Mode, when I start up 3D-Coat, I get a Frame Error window with no text. I do seem to remember that in the past with an older version of 3DC, I was able to work in Safe Mode. However, Versions 3.5, 3.7 and 4.0 all show the Frame Error window.

Btw, if you find yourself needing to constantly restart your computer for whatever reason, DelayedLauncher is good to have. It saves time if you have a long list of login items.

http://www.taoeffect.com/blog/2010/03/delayedlauncher-2-0/

• 2 weeks later...
Note about running 3D-Coat in Safe Mode under Mac OS X. According to this article

we have statement that “Safe Mode in Mac OS X v10.5 or later also disables Quartz Extreme (hardware accelerated graphics). Applications that depend on Quartz Extreme will not open.” That means that 3D-Coat in Safe Mode under Mac OS X 10.5 or later just can’t initialize hardware accelerated OpenGL API. But that was possible in Mac OS X 10.4 under which 3D-Coat could work before migrating from Carbon (32-bit) to Cocoa (64-bit).

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Sorry to resurrect an old threat, but just looking to see if anyone was having this issue. I've been having a number of crashes lately, usually related to importing from other programs (MD4, Blender). In any case whether it's just a SBBOD or an out of memory crash, when I then try to force-quit, my whole system hangs and I need to hard reset.

This is every time with 3dcoat, rarely had this issue with any other program and have run some pretty hungry ones on my machine.

Mac Pro 3,1 8core, OSX 10.8.5, 16GB, Geforce GTX 660 3GB. At the moment I'm on 4.1 I think the most recent build, maybe a couple of weeks old. Can't check atm cos I can't interact with 3d coat till I force-quit and restart ;)