3DCoat Forums

Texturing help

existe

Really trying to grasp texturing.  If I import a .OBJ file, create a UV Map and go into texture editor I see my islands, and everything is good.  Lets say I have a single .PNG file I want to bring in and have it aligned with a certain part of an island.  This is where I need help, with 3DC can I only paint that on?  I brought it in as both a material and mask but the transparency is not preserved so I paint a white background.

If I import the .PNG as a difuse map it takes up the entire UV space and I cannot figure out how to resize it (is that possible in 3DC?) 

I am new to 3DC so pretty sure I am just doing it wrong.  Watched tutorial videos and I get the material painting but they never really cover transparency.  

Advice welcomed, thanks.

Thanks Carlosan, "Transform/copy tool" is what I was missing.

Still not able to preserve transparency on an imported diffuse map texture.  I just used the magic wand tool to mask what I wanted to keep and painted around it.  IS there a way to preserve the transparency of an imported PNG texture?

I notice if I sync layers with Photoshop and make changes in Photoshop it only updates the color texture and does not update the normal map, even if I have "depth" enabled in the paint room.  Is there a way to have the changes in Photoshop impact both color and normal map?

png preserve transparency... please will try the same using TGA ?

normal map cant be edited in PS... 

What is a normal map

http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap/

No I get that you cannot edit NM in PS, guess I am asking if the changes that I make to the color map can impact the NM once I transfer it back from PS into 3DC.  Do I just need to "bake" it after the changes?  I want to be able to mainuplate texture in PS and have thsoe reflect in the NM and then maybe paint on top of that after the fact.  

In my test I exported out to PS, made some changes and imported back into 3DC then I saved off everything out.  I noticed that the NM was blank since I did not real painting in 3DC (I basically created UV map and exported to PS).  So once again is there a process I need to basically bake the color map into the NM after the fact?  I am sure I am explaining it wrong, very new to me.  Thanks for the assistance.

As suspected my .PNG was fail  :( .  Spent some time just doing some ugly painting and texturing, breaking it and forcing myself to use it to learn it.  That made a big difference in understanding.  Appreciate the patience and assistance on the subject.