3DCoat Forums

[Paint] To use material / mask like reference image without modify my paint ?

Carlosan

Hi

Can i use the material/mask option to overlap a reference image over a model just to paint diffuse/normal maps over it without modify the paint with the pixels in the pic ?

I have very low images to replicate making hand painting.

The references are good, but the low quality pixelated all the layer

Take more time to clean up all the jagged strokes that make a clean draw.

So the idea is to use material or mask popup like references images just to paint the model following the pictures BUT i dont need to modify my paint with the picture content pixels (i duno if im clear, sorry)

I need to paint trough the material

ty in advance :D

• Reputable Contributor

I do not think we can paint through a material as you described yet in 3DC.

How about using projection mode (external paint program)  "ctrl+alt+p" and then bring in the reference image and place it as an overlay layer above the layer you want to paint on.

Now if you want to do all your painting in 3DC, simply save the image, return to 3DC and then the reference image will be place in it's own overlay layer. Adjust the layer's opacity as needed

Once you are done with the reference image layer you can delete it.

The picture shows the reference layer (5) which is in overlay mode (opacity at 50%) and I am painting on layer 1...

100% opacity is fine for your overlay layer as well if you want to see clearly the details on the reference image...

Of course you could do all your reference painting in your 2D paint program in projection mode as I stated above.  I use Krita...

Yeah, it's a sloppy example but it's just to show how it is done, I have to run and cut my yard... ;)

You could get Leigh's reference image program as well.

http://scary-monsters.org/Scary_Store/about_reference_image

post-518-0-37262900-1375038066_thumb.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

It looks like you can paint specular through a material.  Just turn off the color channel or set opacity to zero.   You can also use the tool that darkens, lightens, etc.   I can't find a way to paint a chosen color through a material.  The brush either paints the color projected from the material, or it paints nothing.