3DCoat Forums

OctaneRender for Blender beta released!

• Reputable Contributor

wonder if its still relevant since cycles is going to be the main renderer for blender.

Yeah....I could never figure out just who was clamoring for an Octane plugin that will cost you roughly $300 (plugin + standalone, which is mandatory), when it doesn't give you anything you don't already have in Cycles.

• Advanced Member

Atleast we can have an accurate comparison with these two gpu renderers. I invested on octane standalone and the lw plugin but gpu rendering imo is still very far off from being a all around production renderer like vray or lw renderer. And I really think fprime is still superior till this day.

• Reputable Contributor

Atleast we can have an accurate comparison with these two gpu renderers. I invested on octane standalone and the lw plugin but gpu rendering imo is still very far off from being a all around production renderer like vray or lw renderer. And I really think fprime is still superior till this day.

Is Fprime still being developed at all? Steve Worley was so far ahead of his time...in fact, one could argue that he got this whole Interactive rendering phenomenon started.

• Advanced Member
Yeah....I could never figure out just who was clamoring for an Octane plugin that will cost you roughly $300 (plugin + standalone, which is mandatory), when it doesn't give you anything you don't already have in Cycles.

I see your point. However, I haven't seen an octane render I didn't like so far. There's always some magic on this engine. If you render directlight only, it still looks great. 

Cycles is a competitive engine but has long way to go. The good news are, cycles is developing rapidly and it will keep it this way for some years. 

• Advanced Member

Is Fprime still being developed at all? Steve Worley was so far ahead of his time...in fact, one could argue that he got this whole Interactive rendering phenomenon started.

Not sure. Worley never tells anything. He could just come out of nowhere and sell another plugin that's 10 years ahead of everybody.