3DCoat Forums

AMD Launches Mantle API to Optimize GPU Performance on PCs – Good Bye DirectX?

• Reputable Contributor

Very little of anything AMD "Launches" gets industry adoption. They always have some kind of marketing gimmic, only to see it fall flat. They trumpeted their ability to do streaming on hundreds of GPU processors, years ago...and to this day, it's practically window dressing.

Edited by AbnRanger

• Contributor

Also don't forget that it's in the customers/gamers best interest that mantle fail.

You don't want AMD to succeed sending its trojan horse in every engine out there. Don't forget they have their chips in all the console of the market, they could use that API to lock almost everygame out there to be amd supported only...

Hypothetical but dangerous nonetheless, it's only a question of lazyness/money from gamedevs...

If it's like cuda it's cool, options are always welcome but if amd pay enough for the exclusives... with today's multiplatform approach pc gamers could get the bad end of the stick.

• Advanced Member

Also don't forget that it's in the customers/gamers best interest that mantle fail.

You don't want AMD to succeed sending its trojan horse in every engine out there. Don't forget they have their chips in all the console of the market, they could use that API to lock almost everygame out there to be amd supported only...

Hypothetical but dangerous nonetheless, it's only a question of lazyness/money from gamedevs...

If it's like cuda it's cool, options are always welcome but if amd pay enough for the exclusives... with today's multiplatform approach pc gamers could get the bad end of the stick.

Actually, I'm rooting for Mantle.. Remember DirectX 10 was Vista only and DX 11.x is Windows 8 only?

That's held DX10, DX11 adoption back, that's why you mainly see DX9 games release even these days.

One of two things needs to happen, either OpenGL needs to regain traction or something completely out in the left field comes in and gives DX a run for it's money, like Mantle.

DX tied to Windows version = worst idea ever..

My 2c :)

Edited by Nossgrr

• Contributor

Agreed about locked software, on every side: it sucks, opengl needs to keep up the good work. The Khronos group is doing a nice job promoting it, unfortunately on pc it's kind of a desert area outside of the browser...

And imho replacing an os tied api by an hardware tied api sucks too (I actually think it's worse as an os like windows is usable by virtualy everyone, an hardware tied api isn't) :/

• Reputable Contributor

I think DX works because of the sheer size/percentage of users, and when you consider that these technologies have to be paid for somehow, there will always be some form of proprietary considerations. This is precisely why CUDA outshines OpenCL. Nvidia pumps a lot of $$$ into it's development and offers tools to make it easier for software vendors to transition from CPU multi-threading to GPU. AMD doesn't do a thing on that front. Instead, they just rely on Open source standards....and they is why practically no GPU renderers are using AMD cards.

Maybe they are trying to tip the scales with this effort, but all it tells me is that AMD is 100% focused on games and they don't have a care in the world about the CG industry.

• Contributor

Maybe they are trying to tip the scales with this effort, but all it tells me is that AMD is 100% focused on games and they don't have a care in the world about the CG industry.

Not new, probably the only reason any sane content production guy won't go with amd unless using a very specific set of tools that are known to work well with their hardware (jewellry with catia and amd cards for instance).