3DCoat Forums

Vector displacement brush ?

blade33ru

• Advanced Member

is there a vector displacement brush in 3d coat or some way to sculpt overhangs.   I use this ALL the time in Mudbox and consider it a total winner of a tool.  every time you cut into the mesh you get curvature for free..perfect for so many body parts

• Like 1

• Contributor

Is not supportet yet.

But you could use an object instead.

Create a simple object with the vector displacement object in mudbox and export it as an obj.

Then import the obj into 3d coat as a Models Object and use it as pen.

This is also called as kitbashing.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

You cannot load a vector displacement map into the Brush, Strips, Materials or Mask pallet. There isn't even Vector Displacement map baking when you merge your model from the Retopo room. It will only bake a standard grayscale map. The only Vector Displacement capability one has, is if you (are in MicroVertex mode) sculpt something in the Tweak room and then export the VD map directly from the TEXTURES > EXPORT > VECTOR DISPLACEMENT. So, it's VERY limited. To the point that it's practically useless, currently. I brought this to Andrew's attention not long ago, and I know a number of others have asked for full VD support, but it's fallen on deaf ears.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to Vector displacement brush ?
  • 8 months later...
  • Contributor
On 5/7/2014 at 1:55 PM, AbnRanger said:

You cannot load a vector displacement map into the Brush, Strips, Materials or Mask pallet. There isn't even Vector Displacement map baking when you merge your model from the Retopo room. It will only bake a standard grayscale map. The only Vector Displacement capability one has, is if you (are in MicroVertex mode) sculpt something in the Tweak room and then export the VD map directly from the TEXTURES > EXPORT > VECTOR DISPLACEMENT. So, it's VERY limited. To the point that it's practically useless, currently. I brought this to Andrew's attention not long ago, and I know a number of others have asked for full VD support, but it's fallen on deaf ears.

I'm trying to revive new awareness to VDM, I recently created a color VDM from a photoscan and hope 3DCoat's smart material will be upgraded to work with Vector maps while in microvertex mode.  Andrew currently has his hands full with other priorities but I hope he will find the time soon to update it because it could mean we all could paint with photo scan VDM and other experiments soon! I'll keep working on more Color VDM materials in the mean time.