3DCoat Forums
Jokermax

Jokermax WIPs

Hi all!

3Dcoat voxels is an amazing art tool. I am just learning my way around 3dcoat and created a little test to get feel for the brushes which feel good, comparable to ZB/MB brushes. More tests/feedback coming.

post-1079-1223390113_thumb.jpg

Worked some more on this thing.

Is there a good way to add large masses to a voxel model? - adding torso was major pain, blocking in the shape took more time than everything else. I ended up using merged models(spheres) and smoothing and flattening a lot.

post-1079-1223438849_thumb.jpg

Worked some more on this thing.

Is there a good way to add large masses to a voxel model? - adding torso was major pain, blocking in the shape took more time than everything else. I ended up using merged models(spheres) and smoothing and flattening a lot.

Curves and merge simple primitives are usually used to add big masses.

Nice sculpting!

Very nice! I'm really liking how that bronze shader compliments your sculpt... Unfortunately I'm having issues with it currently but bravo, keep it up!

Really great sculpt, it remind me the characters in Ant'Z.

I really love it, sculpting displayed here are getting better and better, that's great.

And you're right about sketching rough form.

You can get a rough shape using the curve even if it's not perfect.

After seeing your post and Andrew's answer I gave a try at curve to see how it behave for this task, and I've done a little video.

http://screencast.com/t/sNIWzw0iz

Freeform got roughing tools who seems really great, curve doesn't match it for the moment, I made some suggestion to improve it in the feature request thread.

thanks all!

Mantis - thanks for the video, it does give me some ideas how to start a model in more effective way. Also i was thinking next time approaching voxel sculpt in "substructive" way

Really great sculpt, it remind me the characters in Ant'Z.

I really love it, sculpting displayed here are getting better and better, that's great.

And you're right about sketching rough form.

You can get a rough shape using the curve even if it's not perfect.

After seeing your post and Andrew's answer I gave a try at curve to see how it behave for this task, and I've done a little video.

http://screencast.com/t/sNIWzw0iz

Freeform got roughing tools who seems really great, curve doesn't match it for the moment, I made some suggestion to improve it in the feature request thread.

Another doodle after work - voxel sculpting feels great but i am yet to find better tool for quickly blocking in large forms - similar to sculpting at lower level. No single crash - very stable, occasional cubic random voxels.

post-1079-1223525172_thumb.jpg

very nice heads.

I agree about the blocking in. it's definitely easier to take away at the moment than to add to a volume.

we just need to come up with some good ideas for Andrew to implement for us.

Cool head Jokermax.

I like how you are experimenting and pointing out some lack of VS.

Did you see this video http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=pLHWXyTrdNI that's probably what you are looking for, but I don't know if there is such a tool for the moment, it seems like a mix with 2D paint and carve tool.

It allow you to create big blobs of "clay", the main difference is that with freeform you got an Haptic device who allow you to stroke in 3D, here we are sculpting with a tablet.

So I think that you can trick this by taking the depht from the first stroke (on the model) than you can continue your stroke in screen space or from the normal's surface.

But you are right it miss some quick roughing tools, Freeform got many of them for different task so I think we should take a look at it.

thanks guys :)

Well, granted this is alpha - my biggest problem is not lack of a tool to add volume but painful slowness and roughness of existing ones - clay, carve, extrude. It does looks like we have everything lined up but some tools seem redundant and slow. Most of the time i am using spray/thaw which is awesome but its strength does not increase with radius and it ignores brush alpha

thanks guys :)

Well, granted this is alpha - my biggest problem is not lack of a tool to add volume but painful slowness and roughness of existing ones - clay, carve, extrude. It does looks like we have everything lined up but some tools seem redundant and slow. Most of the time i am using spray/thaw which is awesome but its strength does not increase with radius and it ignores brush alpha

Have you tried to increase depth (slider)?

I know that we are in alpha stage even if it seems so perfect :) I was not whining on 3Dcoat.

Like we said in the feature thread an improvement of 2D paint could help to rough shape.

If you can grow a sphere and not just an hemisphere that would be easier than having to rub your surface with the classical tools.

1) new performance and build brush is great!

2) seems like less undo/redo cubic artefacts

played some more with that head :)

post-1079-1223611382_thumb.jpg