3DCoat Forums

How to get a "view" like this?

Obamu

• Reputable Contributor

Not sure which jaggy edges you are discussing about and could explain what you mean by better views.

Maybe you mean brush stroke edges... please explain more.

Here is some information though it might not be what you need.

A low voxel count in voxel mode or low polygons in surface mode can produce some jaggy edges, more on some brushes and less on others.

In the picture is a 16,000 voxel / polygon object which is extremely low.

On the left is the grow brush even at that low of voxels it still does a fairly good job in it's stroke if the brush is large enough in size.

On the right is the clay brush in surface mode with remove stretching turned off. More jaggy stroke on the edges.

General rule of thumb in sculpting:

Sculpt large form at lower voxel / polygon count.

As you increase voxel resolution or polygon count in surface mode, go for the medium detail.

Fine detail is saved for last, at the highest voxel resolution or polygon count.

Watch the video again and pay attention to the voxel/polygon count at the bottom of his 3DC interface and the brushes he uses as he progresses through the sculpting.

Since you are new user or last least new to the forums, watch the top videos in the new user section plus here is the link for the official 3DC YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PILGWAY3DCoat

post-518-0-68761600-1421516837_thumb.png

Thanks for the tips

I mean by view as in viewport, w/out the grid and my models are very dark(I mean casting really heavy shadows)

bovL7gj.png

this ain't too appealing to sculpt on.

while the skull is very very well lit and even has some lights/reflection cast on it, also don't take my terms literally cause I'm not sure if its the right term.

• Reputable Contributor

To add to Tony words is a picture showing the icons in the top menu. 2 are for controlling the ambient and brightness, the third for moving the light.

Also some shaders are effected my the scene directional light others or not... You can choose a shader like the one shown in the picture or one of your choice that is not effected by the scene directional light.

This for 4.1.17D version and below.

In the newest beta with PBR rendering, our lighting setup has changed.

post-518-0-78743500-1421598120_thumb.png

Edited by digman

I might just add this, click and hold the sun and drag to the most right--> until it goes to 100, click and drag the big lightbulb to the most <--left until it reaches 10 (adjust higher if u want tiny bit more shadow, good ranges are 10-25 and aren't too dark), finally click and drag the small lightbulb upwards, there's no number indication so u need to watch the model.

default "lighting" is like sculpting at midnight with one candle afar.

1/23/2015