3DCoat Forums

Strange coloring of not connected UV tiles

Go to solution Solved by ajz3d,

Hello :)

Im new to this forum and hope this is the right place for this :)

I just started working with 3D Coat so I not really used to this program. At the moment Im working on coloring imported objs (CS:GO weapon models) and ran into a strange problem but first the way Im doing it :)

I positioned the model this way :

Dr9FzAM.jpg

and changed it to orthografical view. Next I Ctrl+Alt+P and color that half in Photoshop but the moment I save and switch back to 3D Coat the problem occurs. Some not connected UV tiles get covered with designs of other parts of the model or the design isnt projected through on some parts (see handle top part) and I dont know the reason and I highly doubt that this is intended.

Designed half :

1rzDk9P.jpg

Other half :

24UWV4E.jpg

If i try to fix it either in PS or 3D Coat it destroys the design of the original designed half so i cant work around like that too. 

I hope you can help me cause I have no idea why this occurs.

Thanks in advance

greetz claptomanic

• Contributor

Some UV islands are outside of (0,1) space.

post-12523-0-15556700-1427396791_thumb.p

There are some overlapping parts and while it looks like they have been intentionally placed on top of each other, this kind of setup won't work with projection painting:

post-12523-0-19711300-1427396795_thumb.p

This looks like the cause of your problem.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor
  • Solution

Okay I don't really get the 'outside of (0,1) space' part and what kind of problems could be caused by this (...)

In this particular case, islands that are outside of the (0,1) UV space are treated as being inside it. So they will overlap with any other UVs that are at the same location, but inside the (0,1) square. You need to keep this in mind.

but for the overlapping parts I just have to move them so they stand alone and the problem should be fixed right?

Yes. But you don't have to move all overlapping parts, just what is necessary for you to comfortably use projection painting. I'd go with the trial and error approach and move only those islands that I don't want to be affected when I'm painting something else. Some of the stacked UVs are pretty useful as they save texture space (like islands of the pistol grip). This comes at a cost of course, because everything that you paint on one stacked island, will show up on the others too.

I never use projection painting, but it looks like it projects the painted layer on every front face that lies on projection's depth axis. This is why some parts of texture appeared on the barrel. You painted over the outer part of the pistol grip. Under this part there's the main pistol grip which shares UV space with some barrel parts (some being outside of (0,1) space). Your layer was projected into the outside part of the grip, then the inside part, and as a result - into barrel because, to repeat myself, their islands share the same UV space. That's how I see it.