3DCoat Forums

Sync/Edit Layers with External Editor - Broken

• Advanced Member

I have this occasionally with 3DCoat (and have done as far as I can remember)  Syncing Layer/Layers with External editor will return the saved Layers.PSD to the wrong UVSet.

This is intensely annoying and embarrassing (it has happened while demonstrating 3DCoat to someone new).

Andrew if you have time I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at the code for these functions.  It's getting to a point where I want to stop using 3DCoat and not recommend it to people any more.

This is not just an annoyance to me personally as we are starting to rely on syncing layers to create PSDs for the purpose of outsourcing.

thanks

Hey!

Could you give more information? I was recently demonstrating this feature to a student and it worked without any issue. I was using build 4.5.11,DX simple on win 7. Which build and OS are you using?

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

• Advanced Member

Thanks Javis, yes this is an obscure bug that I can't reproduce 100% of the time.

It used to happen in the past, a long time ago maybe 3 or 4 years, and has happened inconsistently since.  it's infrequency makes it difficult to pin down exactly why it's happening, but I have submitted files to Andrew in the past to help identify the problem.  It doesn't seem app specific either because we used to use XSI and now Maya and the problem happened with both apps.

One thing I've always found strange is that the Material Objects that come into 3DCoat from Maya seem to be named not based on their Material names (in Maya) but from the Shading Group name.  This is a bit of a pain and an anomaly;  why is this so?

Anyway.  The Bug.

I have Several Objects in my paint scene.  Each with their own UVSet, some objects with multiple UVSets to split them.  e.g. Body has two Skin Materials (face & body)

Expected result:  Layers sent through to Photoshop using a  specific UVSet will export the correct Layers and reimport to the same UVSet after editing and saving Layers.psd.

Actual result: on Saving Layers.psd and focussing back to 3DCoat it will bring the Layers.psd but place them onto the wrong UVset (e.g. instead of SkinFace UVset it will reimport the layers to Hair UVset)

Like I said it's not consistent and I can't seem to reproduce it.  All my objects and UVSets have unique names.

Clues.  I thought it might be something to do with my own method for transferring objs around between apps by saving over the same temporary OUTPUT.obj file for every single mesh.  Then renaming inside 3DCoat after import.  Is there something hidden in the scenes that will keep the original name of an imported OBJ?

As far as I can determine 3DCoat has a name for each object in the scene which is exposed to us in the Paint Objects tab, and a name for each UVset under the Surface Materials tab.  Is there anywhere else that I need to check in case there are duplicate names in the scene?  I can only deduce that duplicate names are the reason for the Sync Layers and Edit All Layers functions to confuse which UVset to place the temporary Layers.psd file on.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Sorry for not responding (I've been meaning to but too busy in crunch right now)

If I get the time I will look through my message history to see if I can find the posts where I was complaining about this issue.  It was a long time ago and I believe that I did send across a file where it was broken.  Whatever form that took, I might have uploaded something to my dropbox etc..

I would really like to see this bug squashed at some point as it really breaks my workflow with 3DCoat (and that can be schedule destroying sometimes)

Andrew, once I'm out of our crunch period I will try to get together a file to send to you.

p.s. I am marking this thread as unsolved, I hope you don't mind.