3DCoat Forums

UV Peeler

pBarrelas

Very easy. For pipe you make seams on each end of pipe trough cylinder edge. Pipe body UVs will be straightened 100% if you use GU unwraping method (from UV tool menu), LSCM also does alright job though. 

Thanks for reply but that already tried that on straight pipes but the problem is when dealing with curved ones. 

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for reply but that already tried that on straight pipes but the problem is when dealing with curved ones. 

Doesn't matter. Seams on the ends (along the edge) > one long seam down the middle > Click UNWRAP. You have a PLANAR projection buttom that you can click on the Island in the preview panel (after you initially UNWRAP) > click PLANAR, if that works better for you.

• Advanced Member
Funny, I had recently the same question. And the answer was, 3D coat do not have such a straighten funktion via push button .

Planar and all this option do not the job.

Therefore I use always Headus UV Layout, for my UV mapping, it incredible great and all done with only a fingertip.

quaduv.png

Doesn't matter. Seams on the ends (along the edge) > one long seam down the middle > Click UNWRAP. You have a PLANAR projection buttom that you can click on the Island in the preview panel (after you initially UNWRAP) > click PLANAR, if that works better for you.

Thanks for the tip but sadly that doesn't do it! Definitely we need a UV Peeler in 3D-Coat! For now I'll have to do it in C4D!

Edited by pBarrelas

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the tip but sadly that doesn't do it! Definitely we need a UV Peeler in 3D-Coat! For now I'll have to do it in C4D!

You have a UV peeler...it's called UNWRAP. You have some tools to quickly select edge loops + edge rings > straighten vertically, and the option to make equidistant. Problem is, on irregular shaped objects like that cord, it looks worse than just using stand GU unfolding. I recorded a video showing this. The stand method of selecting your seams > UNWRAP was the best way to go, period.

144222375299.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Just because the island looks cleaner in the UV space it doesn't mean it looks cleaner on the model. GU takes curvature/shape of the model in 3D space into account, as well as the 2D UV space. That's why the islands may not always come out looking perfectly straight.

Not sure if i get it correctly, what else besides Unwrap would one use? How could you properly unwrap model without using unwrap function no matter which peeling method you use? I always use clear seams - make seams - unwrap, and then peel each selected island under GU if it isnt already. 

Edited by janpec1000

• Reputable Contributor

Not sure if i get it correctly, what else besides Unwrap would one use? How could you properly unwrap model without using unwrap function no matter which peeling method you use? I always use clear seams - make seams - unwrap, and then peel each selected island under GU if it isnt already. 

PEEL in 3ds Max = Unwrap. That's what I meant. GU works best in practically all meshes I've worked with since it was implemented in 4.1. Andrew developed it, himself, and it's better than ABF++ or LSCM. In the test above, it works even better than making all edgeloops and rings straight.

• Reputable Contributor

....so, with that in mind, why would you NEED to do anything else after selecting your seams > UNWRAP? So it looks prettier in UV space? Clean and straight in the UV space doesn't necessarily = clean on the model, as you can see demonstrated in the images above.

• Advanced Member
....so, with that in mind, why would you NEED to do anything else after selecting your seams > UNWRAP? So it looks prettier in UV space? Clean and straight in the UV space doesn't necessarily = clean on the model, as you can see demonstrated in the images above.

Special task needs special Methode . In my case I needs it for many curved Hair strands , that easily fit with a straight painted Hair Texture. Curved Cluster looks bad in this case
Actually that means now to go the opposite way and  it is also much more efficient
Not the texture followed the Cluster, but the cluster followed the texture. 
Also with this way, fits easily a uniform Weight Map for Softbody PhysiX.
If you have many strands,  belive me, is nice to have such  a batch funktion with only one a mouse click :D

strait.png

Edited by vidi

@AbnRanger Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find specific information about this. 

By the way, which version are you using? I'm using 4.5.03 and I can't find those tools you're referring to under the Selected menu:

-To Line

-Equidistant

-Horizontal 

-Vertical

-Edge Loop

-Edge Ring

Edited by pBarrelas

PEEL in 3ds Max = Unwrap. That's what I meant. GU works best in practically all meshes I've worked with since it was implemented in 4.1. Andrew developed it, himself, and it's better than ABF++ or LSCM. In the test above, it works even better than making all edgeloops and rings straight.

Ye exactly. Impressive thing that GU method, i was quite happy most of time with LSCM before, but with GU there is now hardly any model that needs some retouches of UVs in 3ds max.