3DCoat Forums

Live clay artifacts, freeze during Autopo and voxel clay?

hevonen

Hello,

I'm testing 3d-coat trial and I've come across some problems, which is a pity because voxel sculpting and model painting seem promising.

1) When using live clay I get squished / broken polygons (like surface flipping over in small area or getting bunched up) and I can't get rid of these broken parts. When I try to smooth it the result is a downward peak and when I try to add or remove clay on it the bunched up faces are still there. It seems I've to either switch to voxel mode or remesh to get rid of these. What is the proper way to get rid of these artifacts? These artifacts seem easier to deal with in Blender's dyntopo (remove clay and it add it back again and errors get fixed).

2) Autopo froze when I tried to retopo model I had done with voxels / live clay. Apparently this happens if the mesh is broken, but as live clay breaks the mesh for me it seems like a dice game. Shouldn't autopo just fix broken geometry it detects? What is the proper workflow for this stuff?

3) Voxel clay feels pretty limited / unnatural compared to surface mode brushes or live clay, is there some hard edged brush for quickly building mass (similar to surface mode's Rapid brush)? Are voxel tools abandoned or will there be updates for them too?

4) How to disable the HDR background? I like the lighting it creates but I don't want to see the spherical image itself.

5) Is there some instant command "remesh now" without any popups or so, so I could quickly fix those live clay artifacts?

Hi !

This will get you started as well in getting around 3DC's YouTube channel to help in learning the software. Lots of current videos and of course there some older ones but AbnRanger has done a very good job of making a good number of current videos.

• Contributor

1) there are some Live Clay tools for fixing surfaces, like Clean Clay for example. Also the Geometry Menu has some functions which clean up the mesh (Clean Surface, Close Holes).

2) If you make Autopo run with a big mesh and/or high settings, it can take a long time to complete.

3) Usually Voxel Mode is good for booleans, hard surface modeling, and building base forms. Surface Mode is good for detail work. Also using Voxel or Surface depends on personal preference of artist. Also in Voxel mode you will not experience stretched polygons. In Surface mode you can dynamically subdivide the mesh (some areas of mesh can be high res, while other areas of same mesh low res as desired). Try the Artman Preset brushes in Surface Mode for nice sculpting feel. You can also build your own preset brushes.