3DCoat Forums

Out of memory - Page file memory

hexadecimale

I do lots of voxel and I seen what "free" memory remains at the bottom left  which downgrades really fast as I get resolution higher and so triangle count higher too.

Although sometimes I need to get passed 15 millions triangles as I feel the voxel object is stil too rough and jittery.

I looked into it from various crash report and I understood I need to increase the "page file".

Page file is the memory place onto the hard drive unless I am mistaken.

I have huge hard drives.

1) Is it a major problem if I bump from roughly standard page file 2927 mb to let say 32 000 mb? is it going to bog down my computer?

2) What are the risks of increasing page files by that much or a whooping 100 gigs?

3) is it possible to switch from page file to memory ram? I have plenty of ram room.

Thanks for the technical help!

• Reputable Contributor

What version of 3DC are you using and your OS.

What is the amount of your System Ram... If you have 12 to 16 or more of system ram then there should be no need to increase the page file system "virtual memory".

I have 16 meg of system Ram running under Windows 7, 64 bit. 3DC  beta version 4.5.23 Non-cuda, 64 bit...

A  61 million voxel object leaves me with about 7.5 gig true system ram. (available plus free)  I do not go by what 3DC tells me but what the Task Manager tells me of the true use of my system ram.

I would not have a lot of open applications running if I were to work at that of a high in voxel count.  I am not crashing in 3DC because of low ram, If 3DC is crashing with lots of system ram still available in your system there must be a problem somewhere.

I found that increasing page file size does not seem to really help that much and it would be much, much slower than system ram. Swapping information from hard drive to system ram memory and back again is almost too painful for real world use. Increasing the system ram if needed is better. Sometimes this is not possible I know due to various factors.

I plan on getting 16 more gig of system ram because once you add painting in the paint room at higher texture resolutions with a number of layers that eats ram too plus of course your video ram.

Edited by digman

I have two machines.

I will talk about the most obvious for least doubts.

Workstation:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.10240 Build 10240
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    REBELGAME-PC
System Manufacturer    Supermicro
System Model    X9SRA/X9SRA-3
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor    Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 1.0b, 4/18/2012
SMBIOS Version    2.7
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode    Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer    Supermicro
BaseBoard Model    Not Available
BaseBoard Name    Base Board
Platform Role    Workstation
Secure Boot State    Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration    Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS
System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.10240.16392"
User Name    RebelGame-PC\Rebel Game
Time Zone    Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    64.0 GB
Available Physical Memory    58.8 GB
Total Virtual Memory    128 GB
Available Virtual Memory    122 GB
Page File Space    64.0 GB
Page File    F:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

http://imgur.com/ULcG5FB

I res'ed up twice (up to 15 millions triangles) and then I tried to res + a third times and 3D coat hanged up . Now I am not saying it is not fault to my machine fault but everything is up to date from max, maya, mudbox, after effect, premiere pro, windows 10 is up to date, norton up to date, MSI r9 290 8 gig driver is up to date etc etc....

Is there a common reason why 3D coat would act up?

In mudbox I can easily go pass 100 millions POLYGONS and still run in 20's to 50's FPS

http://imgur.com/fRIoqR3

I don't need to go pass 100 millions tbh but I like to revolve around 20 to 30 millions polygons for good smooth object. Although I can deal with 16 millions polygons which I cannot achieve yet in 3D Coat whereas at best I will go up to 8 millions polygons or 16 millions triangles.

Edited by hexadecimale

• Reputable Contributor

No problem on the specs of your system handling res+ up from 15 million... 

What is the amount of your reported ram and virtual memory on an brand new opened empty scene. The "Free" number is a combination of both system ram and virtual memory. 

Close 3DC and reopen and what is reported by 3DC.

The reason I asked is, I noticed that the amount of free ram / virtual memory that 3DC reports for your 15 million voxel scene is only at 837 and on my 15 million voxel scene it is 27806...

My number adds up correctly. The amount of true ram available and my virtual memory (page file) amount.

It appears to be that 3DC is not reading correctly the amount of Free available memory for your system. The possible cause of 3DC hanging up / crashing...

Suggestion 1: As this is more of a SOS problem send to support your specs pointing out the low amount of memory available that 3DC reports for your scene.

Suggestion 2:

To help diagnose the problem,, I would do a complete re-install of 3DC if you have not done so.

Once you have run the un-install process, manually remove the 3DC folders that reside under your user "Documents Folder". I have Windows 7 and that folder is call "My Documents". I know there has been a name change to "Documents" folder in later versions of Windows...

Install 3DC beta version 4.5.23 if you so desire and now knowing that you have a clean install, see what 3DC reports as your free memory in a new scene and your 15 million voxel scene.

Side Note: Once the problem is fixed>>>

Res+ is always 4x times the amount of current voxels. If you desire more control over the how much you increase the voxel resolution use the "Resample" tool. Here you can type in the number of voxels you want to increase the resolution by...  Example increasing from 4 to 5 million voxels instead of going from 4 to 16 million. Also you can decrease the amount.

Link to beta 4.5.23

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076

post-518-0-49948800-1449866469_thumb.png

Edited by digman

Hello Digman,

I am still away from my house for the moment. As I mentioned the first time, I have 2 machines. If you do not mind I will switch to the issue on my laptop for the time being. 

Clarification regarding 3DCoat: I have the steam version, it updates automatically.

my laptop has an integrated GPU and RAM nvidia 460M with 4 gigs with latest driver. the laptop also has an Intel HD graphic. 

I set up the nvidia control panel to use global setting performance so nvidia takes over everything that requires 3D.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

system info

hrTsTKd.png?1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nvidia program setting and global setting 

Se97Xyh.png

gV5BoNR.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3D Coat before touching anything

qohbnQY.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3D Coat lvl 0 voxel

W64evGg.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3D coat lvl 1

TBfgbpS.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3D coat trying to go lvl 2

ynJaaEZ.png

It looks like 3D coat does not read or get windows 10 amount of page file memory well.

i do not understand why 3D coat uses Intel HD graphic instead of picking up Nvidia as it should be

Any help is welcome.

I will attempt your recommendation on my workstation this week when I am back home.

ON MY WORKSTATION:

What is the amount of your reported ram and virtual memory on an brand new opened empty scene. The "Free" number is a combination of both system ram and virtual memory. 

Close 3DC and reopen and what is reported by 3DC.

Virtual ram: roughly 17 gigs

reported ram: I am not sure about this question but I assume you asked for the ram which is 64 gigs physical

Free resource upon opening in 3D coat in 64 GL NON-cuda is roughly 83000 (which was much lower in 64 CUDA which is stupid of me since I use AMD card and free resource then was around 1500!), Also the simple direct x reports 83000 of free resources. Only first choice of mode 3D coat reports 1700. So I have the choice to stick with DirectX and any choice of GL NON-CUDA.

So I assume my issue initially on my workstation was the wrong choice of 3D Coat resource use.

Case solved on my Workstation, now is the issue with 3D Coat on my laptop which is boggling too on my post just above.

P.S: what can I do to add image straight ion the forum's post. I looked for it but so many choices with special BBCodes, I always chose media and CTRRL+V the BBCode from imgur but obviously I did not choose the correct one on either side

Edited by hexadecimale

Hello Digman,

YOU SOLVED MY WORKSTATION ISSUE ALREADY, BIG THANKS ;-)

This is for the issue on my laptop which may be more intricate

I am still away from my house for the moment. As I mentioned the first time, I have 2 machines. If you do not mind I will switch to the issue on my laptop for the time being. 

Clarification regarding 3DCoat: I have the steam version, it updates automatically.

my laptop has an integrated GPU and RAM nvidia 460M with 4 gigs with latest driver. the laptop also has an Intel HD graphic. 

I set up the nvidia control panel to use global setting performance so nvidia takes over everything that requires 3D.

system info

hrTsTKd.png?1

hrTsTKd.png?1

nvidia program setting and global setting 

Se97Xyh.png

gV5BoNR.png[/media]

gV5BoNR.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3D Coat before touching anything

qohbnQY.png

qohbnQY.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3D Coat lvl 0 voxel

W64evGg.png

W64evGg.png

3D coat lvl 1

TBfgbpS.png

TBfgbpS.png

3D coat trying to go lvl 2

ynJaaEZ.png

ynJaaEZ.png

It looks like 3D coat does not read or get windows 10 amount of page file memory well.

i do not understand why 3D coat uses Intel HD graphic instead of picking up Nvidia as it should be

Any help is welcome.

I will attempt your recommendation on my workstation this week when I am back home.

Edited by hexadecimale

• Reputable Contributor

The Free number in 3DC is as stated above is adding together of both free system ram and your page file (virtual memory)

Example... Say I have 7 gig of system ram available and 16 gig of virtual memory after loading 3DC. 3D-Coat would report "Free" 23000...

EDIT: I added some more precise information and sorry for the length of the post as I am only trying to make some educated quesses or I think they are...  :dash2:

Below is for the Laptop...

In the pictures uploaded, I noticed this one thing... 

Nividia control panel: 

"Select program to customize"  

I know that steam itself is a 32 bit program but will launch a 64 bit program... Maybe it is launching the 32 bit cuda version of 3DC instead of the 64 bit version. I can not see the whole pointer...

x86 is for 32bit programs which only can access 4 gig of ram... Maybe Steam downloads both versions and installs both. I do not use steam so no help there...

looking at your last crash log, that appears to be one from a 32 bit version. Maybe you downloaded the steam 32 bit version of 3DC by mistake. 

I could be mis-reading the information in the control panel but it is worth a check. If 3DC is in fact installed under (Program files (x86) then you are running the 32 bit version or Steam is lauching the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version of 3DC. Of Course it easy to check it in the top interface as 3DC tells you whether you are running in 32 bit or 64 bit at least on non steam versions. From your pictures it does not say you are running in 64 bit at the top of the interface.

After the problems are fixed, I would test running the 64 bit  non cuda version here too, maybe it will pick up on your nivida card. 3DC support might be able to help you there if if does not... 

Check your workstation as well though it appears by your statement of the amount of ram/ page file reported in 3DC that your are running the 64 bit version there at least on the Non-Cuda versions. On the safe side check it for the cuda versions.

Side Note: If you have a good system, the cuda version will not give you that much more power. 3DC still uses Cuda 3 and Andrew says it very hard to program for in 3DC. He has not done any updating since Cuda version 3 to take advantage of newer cuda routines.

The attached image is from your Nivida Control Panel.

Second image is showing my 3DC running in 64bit

post-518-0-25637900-1450124384_thumb.png

post-518-0-40465800-1450129766_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• 3 weeks later...

I am also a steam user and bought the 3d coat there and I was struggeling with Virtual Memory crashes every five minutes.

Here is what you have to do as a Steam user:

Open Steam - Go to your library and right click 3d coat.

From there you can choose 64 Bit CUDA version and all problems are solved.

post-40016-0-78149700-1451841643_thumb.p

That cost me a few hours of my livetime...

post-40016-0-78149700-1451841643_thumb.p