Blaster

13th Challenge: Tin Toys

13th Challenge: Tin Toys  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 13 Winner

• ajz3d
    • Blaster
    • Tony Nemo

Thats not a bad solution ajz3d. I have been modeling with Voxel and then using the subtract from...... operation in the voxel tree.   I subtract a duplicated mesh just slightly scaled in to get the shell.  Whatever works I guess. lol  I do wish there was a way to extract a shell with thickness from a voxel mesh.  If there is a way to do this would someone mind sharing a how to? 

• Like 1

Thats not a bad solution ajz3d. I have been modeling with Voxel and then using the subtract from...... operation in the voxel tree.   I subtract a duplicated mesh just slightly scaled in to get the shell.  Whatever works I guess. lol  I do wish there was a way to extract a shell with thickness from a voxel mesh.  If there is a way to do this would someone mind sharing a how to? 

Try Extract Shell -> Make Shell Using Voxels (RMB over your voxel layer to find this command). This will make the volume hallow. You need plenty of voxel resolution though.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Another update, I'm starting on the popup soldier.  So far, so good.   :gamer1:

post-38101-0-82693200-1454816094_thumb.p

Jason

• Like 1

Hey Ajz3d  that is great to know of this tool.  If only it subtracted / took out the  New  Outer parts ( which is inside your mesh)  meaning I still have to delete hollow it out . to see that it hollowed it out and adds a new wall.  I would love to be able to have this setting in Primitives > Lathe >  Just make External Shell  >  Wall Thickness .......    my work flow is make a object  then duplicate/clone twice scale down 1 just right and subtract from other as to fish gut it out. The Extract Shell does this but I want the guts out to .  Now that I think of it put Wall Thickness Fish Gut setting on all the Primitives 

edit :   ok it does hollow out  just needed to cut into it deeper.  that there is one sweet  time saver of a tool.  TY :)   

Edited by Ballistic_Tension
  • Like 1

Great work , looking forward for the retopo and paint.

I used Autopo on the arm (it's disconnected) and with a couple of strokes, it turned out really well. The body is manual as I want to paint different areas easily in the Editor so seams must follow form.

Edited by Tony Nemo

Looking good Tony! 

How is everyone doing on time management?  I know we are coming into the final weeks of the challenge and I noticed no one has moved onto texturing and lighting yet. I may extend the deadline if need be. It's really exciting to see the tin toys come to life.  Keep up the good work everyone!

Looking good Tony! 

How is everyone doing on time management?  I know we are coming into the final weeks of the challenge and I noticed no one has moved onto texturing and lighting yet. I may extend the deadline if need be. It's really exciting to see the tin toys come to life.  Keep up the good work everyone!

I'll start working on my toy this week.

• Like 1

How is everyone doing with the Tin Toy Challenge?  

I am going to push the deadline back a few weeks to give everyone more time.  I know I have been busy with work and could use it.   Lets set a hard deadline of March 7th.  I know ajz3d got a late start as well and I have not seen any recent updates from anyone but Tony.  

Anyway here is my update.  I am currently working on the body of the vehicle and should have that complete tonight.  If anyone has an update please post what you have.  

Keep up the good work everyone and props to Tony for finishing so quickly...

post-39822-0-92569000-1456179032_thumb.j

• Like 4

Both are great , and i haven't even started mine lol

I began blocking out main shape of the spaceship and will be posting some WIP today. Hopefully I will make it before the deadline. :)

• Like 1

I was thinking about possible approaches to tin toys in 3D-Coat, and I think I'll stick to the following:

- create a rough voxel/surface representation of a given shape

- retopo in the retopo room using subdivision surfaces

- merge the shape back (with several levels of subdivision) to sculpt room, with slight thickness applied to the model

- rinse and repeat

- batter and deform all surfaces where necessary. :)

I'm not sure if the workflow that I have picked for modelling parts of my tin spaceship was a good choice. The problem with subdiv modelling in the retopo room is that there are so few tools available for a good streamlined modelling workflow, that everything takes ten times longer than it normally would in a dedicated modelling package. The lack of subdiv preview does not help either. Anyway, I'm stubbornly pushing forward and I'm currently finishing up one of the two most difficult pieces. When I'm through with the upper and lower halves of the main fuselage, remaining parts will be a cakewalk and the progress will begin to gain momentum. :)

post-12523-0-30357300-1456604864_thumb.j

I just noticed that the deadline was extended to 13th of March! Awesome! That's very generous! :)

• Like 3

Yes good point Tony!  Everyone post updates if you have them. I would love to see the progress!  

This is what I have currently...  I have a bit more details to add and then I will get the retopo done. Looking forward to painting this toy up.    

post-39822-0-20818200-1456623208_thumb.j

• Like 4