3DCoat Forums

Losing UV's on Import when repair a 3D scanned model

CMPharis

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

I just need to figure out how to get the 3D scan cleaned up now. The voxel repair mode worked well and only was a click of a button. Just need to combine these methods somehow. The per-vertex color thing is too low res even with a super high res model. I also don't think a 3D printer will know how to read the texture information unless it keeps UV's.

Edited by CMPharis

• Reputable Contributor

Steps thus far...

1) From splash screen, choose PAINT UV MAPPED MESH

2) Select Model, and in IMPORT Dialog, check "Swap Y and Z axis" and at top of dialog in the INITIAL SUBDIVISION, choose the twice subdivided version...497k in this case. Set Desired/Matching Texture size as the map we need to import

3) Go to TEXTURES Menu > IMPORT > Color/Albedo map > select image map

4) File Menu > EXPORT Objects and Textures. In Export Dialog choose Mid-Poly mesh

We now have a subdivided mesh with a proper .mtl file

Now follow the directions mentioned in the video in this thread, to import with color, in the Sculpt room

• Reputable Contributor

I just need to figure out how to get the 3D scan cleaned up now. The voxel repair mode worked well and only was a click of a button. Just need to combine these methods somehow. The per-vertex color thing is too low res even with a super high res model. I also don't think a 3D printer will know how to read the texture information unless it keeps UV's.

Which Auto Repair button are you talking about? And as for UV's, even if you could bake from the original to the auto-retopo mesh, the mess on the backside is going to show up, regardless. So, as a final step, you could try to use the Texture Baking tool to bake the color information from the original to the new auto-retopo mesh, with Auto UV's applied, but it may not come out to well in those areas you had to clean up. This would be the case no matter which app you choose

746k poly mesh

145902829225.jpg

The big problem is, this needs to be a mainly automated process. We want to go commercial and have multiple people being able to clean up scanned meshes for customers. We have to clean up 300 in a month. All the artifacts on the back can be instantly fixed by voxelizing the mesh. It smooths it out completely.

I need to try and speed up the process to at least 10 minutes. Import, auto-smooth, retopologize, clone stamp to clean up textures a little, export. Then repeat.

Getting a cleaner scan will also help, but in the future we probably don't want any manual work, but that's probably a matter of expense in our cameras.

Thank you for your help and I'll go through all of this tomorrow when I wake up, with the tutorials and see if I can perfect the workflow. I seriously appreciate all the help.

Edited by CMPharis

• Reputable Contributor

The big problem is, this needs to be a mainly automated process. We want to go commercial and have multiple people being able to clean up scanned meshes for customers. We have to clean up 300 in a month. All the artifacts on the back can be instantly fixed by voxelizing the mesh. It smooths it out completely.

I need to try and speed up the process to at least 10 minutes. Import, auto-smooth, retopologize, clone stamp to clean up textures a little, export. Then repeat.

Getting a cleaner scan will also help, but in the future we probably don't want any manual work, but that's probably a matter of expense in our cameras.

Thank you for your help and I'll go through all of this tomorrow when I wake up, with the tutorials and see if I can perfect the workflow. I seriously appreciate all the help.

Good luck finding an app that can clean a messy 3D scan and spit out the same texture in just a few clicks. There aren't any. It's still going to be a bit more involved than you like, regardless of which app you choose. I can promise you that.

145904074788.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

On a mesh like this, knowing all the steps, you could easily get it down to as little as 15-30min for the whole process...which is pretty good, considering all that is involved. A much cleaner 3D scan and it's much, much faster. Basically, it's cleaning up someone's mess, and sometimes doing that takes a bit of time

145904106740.jpg

• 7 months later...