3DCoat Forums

Vertices snapped at the wrong side of the model

Many times I'll find myself in a situation that while doing retopology, some vertices will snap on the back of the model instead of the side I'm editing. First of all I wanted to ask if there is a way to avoid this misshap, and second I was wondering if there is a way to move those vertices back where I want (move tool most of the times won't work in this situation), or do I have to delete the polygon they belong to, and rebuild it?

• Contributor
3 minutes ago, Dennis Nikolaidis said:

some vertices will snap on the back of the model instead of the side I'm editing. First of all I wanted to ask if there is a way to avoid this misshap

This happens frequently when you're retopologizing a thin surface or a surface on top of some other surface. Try using different snapping algorithms. It probably won't help, but there's a small chance that it will.

3 minutes ago, Dennis Nikolaidis said:

I was wondering if there is a way to move those vertices back where I want (move tool most of the times won't work in this situation)

Try moving your vertex to your hi-res geometry's border, and then to its target position (move it from around the edge). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the times you will need to delete your retopo faces and recreate them.

• 3 years later...

2020 and this is still a YUGE problem.  The worst of it is that it works fine initially, and as you proceed with any brushing, snapping, etc. you will then realize that a large portion of your retopo has snapped to the other side.  It makes a 2 hour job 4 hours.  So sad this is still as broken AF.

Edited by smatthews1999

• 2 weeks later...