3DCoat Forums

INCREASE RESOLUTION FOR TEXTURE

Bru-M

Good night! :)

Well, I am totally newbie with 3DCoat, so, ill ask directly...
My work is not TOO complex, but very simple, so, I just want to understand how I can increase the resolution for a texture imported from Vertex Painting? 

The imported OBJ is from Zbrush, and it already have a texture baked from Zbrush, but I just want to increase the resolution for texture in 3DCoat for a better results, but in 3DCoat doesnt display Mesh & Texture Resolution in Edit. :( 

Thanks in Advance for any tips! :)

• Like 1

Hi !

If you are working in vertexpaint, you should increase the model resolution.

Paint Room

File > Import > Import for vertex paint / Big reference

Switch to Sculpt room

VoxTree > Select the mesh in sculpt layer

Use the command Increase resolution

Hope this help

IC.jpg

• Like 1

On 24/11/2016 at 8:45 AM, Carlosan said:

Hi !

Paint Room

File > Import > Import for vertex paint / Big refeerence

Switch to Sculpt room

Hope this help

IC.jpg

OH thanks!  Ill try this one! :D 

On 24/11/2016 at 8:45 AM, Carlosan said:

Hi !

Paint Room

File > Import > Import for vertex paint / Big reference

Switch to Sculpt room

Hope this help

IC.jpg

Well  I think there is some misunderstanding here.

Let me explain: what I really want is to increase resolution only for texture, not for the OBJ nor a model, but only the texture, and I want to paint these texture with as high resolution as possible.  I dont want to sculpt.

That's why I am trying to understand how to paint a texture, and increasing the resolution only for texture, not for model.
I have done what you explained, but I dont find any brush for painting (this is what I want), there is only brushes for sculpt.  Hope you understand what I mean!

Thanks in advance again for any tip!

In Zbrsuh are you using polypaint ?

Sorry wall of text, but im trying to understood your workflow

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Polypainting allows painting on a model's surface without first assigning a texture map. A texture map can be created at a later time, and the painted surface can be transferred to the map. Polypainting offers significant advantages compared to standard workflow.

The resolution of the texture map need not be decided in advance. This is particularly valuable if you find you need more detailing on an area than you thought you would. Instead of repainting a new, larger texture map, you can simply transfer the existing surface painting to a new, larger map, with no rework necessary.

Similarly, the UV unwrapping need not be fixed in advance. If one unwrapping proves unsatisfactory, simply create a different unwrapping and transfer the surface painting to that map. Removing UVs from your model frees up system resources and allows you to work with even more polygons!

To understand how polypainting works, first consider a 2048 by 2048 texture map, which provides reasonable resolution. It has a total of a little over 4 million pixels.

If you work with a 4 million polygon model, then in terms of surface painting, simply assigning each polygon a uniform color gives the same amount of information as the 4 million pixel texture map. (Actually, somewhat more, since significant parts of texture maps are typically left blank.)

So, with polypainting, you can put all of the painting details directly onto the model's polygons, and then transfer that detail to a texture map when the painting is complete.

source...

8 hours ago, Carlosan said:

The resolution of the texture map need not be decided in advance. This is particularly valuable if you find you need more detailing on an area than you thought you would. Instead of repainting a new, larger texture map, you can simply transfer the existing surface painting to a new, larger map, with no rework necessary.

Yeah, Zbrush has polypaint.

The problem is, in Zbrush, to reach high resolution texture, I need to increase the subdivision from the model.  And it is not good, because it overloads my computer...

So, I am trying to use 3DCoat as a way to paint only the texture map without overloading the processor by increasing the model's resolution.

:)   

• Reputable Contributor

You have to understand, when Poly/Vertex painting.....more vertices = more resolution. Why? Because all the color information is stored in the vertices, themselves. Fewer vertices = lower resolution. That is just how it works. You cannot make vertices more dense or less dense. Vertices are essentially your pixels, and you simply cannot increase resolution for your textures without increasing the resolution/subdivision of your model. The good thing about 3D Coat is you have dynamic tessellation, so you can use LiveClay or the Subdivide brush to increase resolution only where you need it.

So, for example, since most characters have hair and clothes, you don't need much resolution for 80% of the entire body. So, use LiveClay to subdivide only in the areas exposed to the camera.

3 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

You have to understand, when Poly/Vertex painting.....more vertices = more resolution. Why? Because all the color information is stored in the vertices, themselves. Fewer vertices = lower resolution. That is just how it works. You cannot make vertices more dense or less dense. Vertices are essentially your pixels, and you simply cannot increase resolution for your textures without increasing the resolution/subdivision of your model. The good thing about 3D Coat is you have dynamic tessellation, so you can use LiveClay or the Subdivide brush to increase resolution only where you need it.

So, for example, since most characters have hair and clothes, you don't need much resolution for 80% of the entire body. So, use LiveClay to subdivide only in the areas exposed to the camera.

I see...  I'll try this one!   Thanks a lot Ranger!