3DCoat Forums

How to Export Voxel UV Texture Maps?

chippwalters

I'm trying to do some speed modeling in 3D Coat. Now that I've modeled an object using voxels and painted it using Smart Materials, I'd like to export the whole thing. I know I can export the OBJ (8 million or so polys) but I also would really like to export the different maps as well. I'd prefer NOT to have to go through RETOPO as it will add lot's of time to the speed model process.

Perhaps this isn't even the correct workflow and perhaps it's just not possible without going through retopo-- but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has done this before. 
PS, I am trying EXPORTING as an 8 million poly OBJ and re-importing, but that looks like it will take forever.

Here's what I'm trying to EXPORT:

techbox3dcoat.jpg

Vertex Painting is a simple way of painting color onto an object, by directly manipulating the color of vertices, rather than textures.

There isnt any map to export. You need to export the whole mesh to any renderer app that allow high poly import, as Instant Light -as example-

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/forum/68-instantlight-real-time-render/

So, does this mean you don't keep the smart materials when you export? (I have Instant Light but am not currently using it). IOW, do you recreate the smart materials in Instant Light? 

Does someone have a good video tutorial which can demonstrate quickly how to RETOPO this? Or will it take hours of work to retopo?

TIA.