3DCoat Forums

VoxHide and Objectify without bevel

tnsor

Hi there. I often use the VoxHide and then Objectify workflow. But 3Dcoat always creates a beveled edge on the hidden parts. Is there a possiblity to turn this off and get exactly what was hidden, like with the split tool?

Best Manuel

• Like 1

Thanx for your hint Carlosan, that's handy but not what I am after. I am using the technique to model volumetric hard surface parts. That's why I have to rely on the voxel mode. Once I select the voxhide tool there there are options regarding the border. But changing them does not seem to do anything. Am I missing something.

Is the objectify tool  actively beveling the hidden parts before inserting them or is this a voxel artifact that has technical reasons?

Thanx again for your hlep, best Manuel

The objectify tool actively beveling the hidden parts before inserting them. Right.

Please send this feature requests to Andrew Shpagin at

support@3dcoat.com

Ty

21 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

While Voxels do not have dynamic resolution functionality like Surface mode does, there is a technique you could use that mimics it, somewhat. That is to use the COPY tool in the Tool Panel > create (and select) a new blank Voxel layer, ensuring that the Resolution (x4,8,16, etc.) matches the layer you are copying from > change the shader to something that contrasts with the shader of the object you are copying from, to make it easier to see exactly what you are copying > brush the area you need more resolution, to copy just that part of the original layer. Now, you can increase the resolution to the level you think you need, for example, enough resolution to capture fine wrinkles, bumps on the skin and skin pores, etc. You can also change the shader to match the original layer, and it will be hard to visually notice where the new copy is, as it blends in well with the original layer.

• 5 years later...
  • Advanced Member

I had the same question. It would be great if the unhidden parts are as sharp as the visible remaining parts after a Vox Hide in Voxel mode.

─ Edit: I read in an other thread that you can use the Split tool and set the Border Width (top of the screen) to 1.0. I'm OK with that as a workaround, although I'd still like to see the Vox Hide tool's Objectify Hidden Volumes yield a similar result without added bevels.

Edited by Metin Seven
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I've also run into this little problem now.
Having the choice of not having the bevel on a major tool like VOX HIDE, 3DCoat's trademark, would be important, too bad it doesn't exist yet...

By the way if vox hide had sharp edges you could use it as a substitute for cut and clone.
Working with surfaces with vox hide is not the same as using it with voxels...and Split tool does not have the peculiarities of vox hide:)

• Advanced Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Metin Seven was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

If you use the Split tool with Split Border Width (top bar controls) set to 1.0 (not the lowest value of 0.0), the new layers will have a clean cut, as opposed to using Vox Hide + Objectify Hidden Volumes.

Set Split Border Width to 0 to get bevels at the split edges.

unnamed.thumb.png.1cd0526441705e7d11b9ab8daca55f8e.png

• Thanks 1