3DCoat Forums

Can I make model changes to a model in the UV room?

ijac

I imported a model and working on UVs.  I have an edge loop I would like to delete from the model.  How?

I switched to the Retopo Room.  Nope.  Switched to the Modeling Room.  Nope.  I can see the model but can't seem to select anything on the model.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

Edited by ijac

Did you import the model to make uvs in UV room? Use retopo room to edit edges.

The UV tools in the Retopo Room are practically a mirror of those in the UV room.

UV's on a model in the Paint room are to be edited in the UV room. UV's on a Retopo Mesh are done right inside that same workspace.

The first part of this video helps to explain that a bit:

Thanks for video.  Very useful info but doesn't answer my question.  Here's what I did ...

1. File>New

2. Select "Paint UV Mapped Mesh (Per-Pixel)" from splash screen to open model I created in Blender

3. Worked on UVs in the UV room.  

4. While working on UVs, I decided there is an edge loop I would like to delete

5. Now what?  Where do I go to delete the edge loop?  Is it possible?

To edit retopology you need to begin at retopo room.

UV room is useful to modify paint meshes seams, unwrap islands and nothing more.

On retopo room each time you create new topology, you create a new PolyGroup and each time you Bake this topology into the Paint Room, you create new "Objects" in the Tweak Room and UV Room- as well as new texture painting layers.

Even if you have created a new, manual PolyGroup the UV Room will not display this new, unwrapped Group unless you first Bake the PolyGroup into the Paint Room (Retopo Menu/Bake)

If I import a model in paintroom, it should be available in model room:

A model in the paint room must be enabled for the Model room. 

At now we have three mesh. Sculpt mesh,  retopo mesh and paint mesh. We have a plan to move the tweak room to the model room.

• Reputable Contributor
On 2/4/2022 at 3:54 PM, ijac said:

OK that's what I thought.  Thanks for the info.  The hard divisions between rooms has always felt awkward.  It would be nice if a model could move between rooms free and easy.

Please send this request to support@Pilgway.com, because I have personally requested this for the very same reason. It's very difficult for me to explain the logic behind such divisions and I told Andrew it makes things a little too complicated for new users. The more people ask about this topic, the higher the priority it gets. Andrew agrees that consolidating the Paint and Retopo/Modeling meshes would be good...but it's a major undertaking. If I am the only person who asks for this, it doesn't make the list. Other users have to add their input to make the urgency higher.

• Like 1