3DCoat Forums

Could I import both high-poly and retopo'ed low-poly mesh together?

raincole

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

I know it's an unsual workflow, but could I import both high-poly mesh and low-poly mesh into 3DCoat, and keep sculpt it with "Conform Retopo" option?

My use case:

I bought a model from a third-party, which is a ZBrush file with subdivisions. I know 3DCoat doesn't have subdivs (at least not the same as Zbrush), and I'd like to furthur sculpt it. I'm more comfortable with 3DCoat's sculpt tool than ZBrush's, so I'd like to sculpt in 3DCoat. I've export the highest and lowest subdiv from ZBrush as 2 .obj files.

What now? How to import the high-poly as Sculpt mesh, but the low-poly as Retopo mesh?

Its a trial an error, very personal task.

Depending on the type of model, the density of the retopology, the type of sculpting... there are many variables to give a can/cannot answer.

This video demonstrates an update to the "Conform Retopo Mesh" feature in 3D Coat's Sculpt workspace, which allows the user to see the Retopo Mesh (in the Sculpt Workspace) while making large scale edits with the Pose, Move, or Transform tool.

I don't see why this is a hard-to-answer question. Maybe I worded it badly.

Ignore all the Zbrush stull. Say I have two .obj files. One high-poly and one low-poly. How could I import one as retopo mesh and one as sculpt mesh, and make 3Dcoat realize that they're connected (so "Conform Retopo" feature works?)

It's a simple question with just two .obj files. No variables now.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2022 at 1:14 PM, raincole said:

I don't see why this is a hard-to-answer question. Maybe I worded it badly.

Ignore all the Zbrush stull. Say I have two .obj files. One high-poly and one low-poly. How could I import one as retopo mesh and one as sculpt mesh, and make 3Dcoat realize that they're connected (so "Conform Retopo" feature works?)

It's a simple question with just two .obj files. No variables now.

Raincole

I have the same question and have been searching the internet for the answer. I have not found an answer.  Have you found the answer?