3DCoat Forums

Baking an AO map just gives me a black texture

riuthamus

Question

9 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
54 minutes ago, riuthamus said:

I do not understand why I keep getting a black texture. Some models it works just fine, others it doesnt. I cant seem to understand what is causing this. Any help or suggestions would be great!

THESE ARE MY BAKE SETTINGS: (I have tried without, reduced lights, non separate objects)

image.thumb.png.cfe7ea3b846e0d747d8c452a8d227b19.png

THIS IS THE RESULT:

image.thumb.png.963077e8ed4d3db01981ce2f5fe905dd.png

Can you do a test and see if it is the UV's? A black texture almost always points to that. Go to the UV workspace and for each UV set (a drop list menu in the upper left, just above the viewport), click the UNWRAP button in the tool panel. Once that is done, click APPLY UV SET. Now, go back to the Paint Workspace and try AO baking once more and see if it works this time. If it does, then that means there was something fudged with the UV's prior to this test.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Can you do a test and see if it is the UV's? A black texture almost always points to that. Go to the UV workspace and for each UV set (a drop list menu in the upper left, just above the viewport), click the UNWRAP button in the tool panel. Once that is done, click APPLY UV SET. Now, go back to the Paint Workspace and try AO baking once more and see if it works this time. If it does, then that means there was something fudged with the UV's prior to this test.

image.thumb.png.01b6e82b9e4775dd1bff6a41cf0eee54.png

As far as I can tell, no issues with my UV. I will re-unwrap them just to be sure. I think it has to do with smoothing groups. My import settings might be the reason for it, since I can get the textures to spawn correctly when I tick some of those settings off/on. I still get black with these UVs unwrapped and applied. However, if i export and import and lock normals and generate smoothing groups... I can bake an AO. The AO is blocky and not really proper. If I turn off the setting for generate auto smoothing groups I still get the black issue.

image.thumb.png.5d53a580eb56591cf116399b61f530a5.png

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE IN MAYA WHEN EXPORTING:

image.thumb.png.e01cb311965202abda6cd60a993a49a1.png

Edited by riuthamus

• Reputable Contributor

@riuthamus

Out of curiosity, have you checked your scene scale for any of the models which aren't working?

I ask because there seems to be some relevant information in this thread...

Also, have you tried baking a curvature map to see if those results are also incorrect, that may provide some clue as to what type of issue you're facing?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fluffy said:

@riuthamus

Out of curiosity, have you checked your scene scale for any of the models which aren't working?

I ask because there seems to be some relevant information in this thread...

Also, have you tried baking a curvature map to see if those results are also incorrect, that may provide some clue as to what type of issue you're facing?

I will try that, but I am doing the normal size for UE models. Would seem odd, but it might be related since I have other issues related to UI import and export. Let me tinker a bit and will get back to you.

This is the UV map, on a brand new model.

image.thumb.png.8be52a6136839a6cbf8a1d1b2dd3dee9.png

This is the AO map at 1024
image.thumb.png.3a85e29e039e1a2a331a679582d27cf7.png

This is the Curve Map (default settings)
image.thumb.png.07a5900cae4467f18fc9a83b257665f9.png

I was trying something that I thought was causing the issue (importing from maya while all the objects were in a group in maya). That didn't do anything, however, it did create an interesting result.

A DIRECT import from maya with these settings:
image.thumb.png.fb99be1f698a67519810fa9a8ba4b322.png

Had the following default UV's (I didnt create them so I am assuming 3DCoat is auto doing it?)
image.thumb.png.9fa6f0d7378ab863ec95fbe151284b00.png

And without doing ANYTHING, just going directly to bake an AO, this is the result I would get:
image.thumb.png.1950b30ea3b9bc77248f4f10ad5e5ccd.png

So, that makes no sense....