3DCoat Forums

Can anyone give me tips on how sculpting works in 3D Coat?

Glitch Gremlin

Question

Hey guys. im trying to do better with the brushes and stuff in 3D Coat, but when i sculpt with them the Alpha "I guess they're called Alphas in 3D Coat?" are SUPER Strong and sharp. i want to have control for doing Organic or really sharp edges, how would i go about that? here is an image of what im talking about in case im not explaining it right

but im just trying to get the sculpting to be as close to Zbrush or Blenders as possible, cause i love this program and the Voxels, but i just can't seem to find the Brush settings im after. or im doing it wrong, going in with the wrong mindset? no idea.

thanks for any help you can provide. 

2023-01-09_162623.png

4 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
16 hours ago, Glitch Gremlin said:

Hey guys. im trying to do better with the brushes and stuff in 3D Coat, but when i sculpt with them the Alpha "I guess they're called Alphas in 3D Coat?" are SUPER Strong and sharp. i want to have control for doing Organic or really sharp edges, how would i go about that? here is an image of what im talking about in case im not explaining it right

but im just trying to get the sculpting to be as close to Zbrush or Blenders as possible, cause i love this program and the Voxels, but i just can't seem to find the Brush settings im after. or im doing it wrong, going in with the wrong mindset? no idea.

thanks for any help you can provide. 

2023-01-09_162623.png

Without more of an idea of which brushes you're using and the type of result you're trying to achieve it's a little hard to know where to start (how to use brushes/alphas in 3D Coat is a pretty broad subject and would probably take a while to get through).

Tools like Grow in the Voxel Tools panel incorporate smoothing automatically and will give you very smooth, organic results without any need to tweak the settings, but if you're working with the tools in the Clay Engine panel here's a couple of settings that may help...

Using the Base Clay tool as an example, if you look at the Tool Options you'll see a checkbox for Use Current Alpha and next to it a gear icon.  While the Use Current Alpha option is disabled you can use the gear icon to access the Edit Brush Shape options window where you can modify the brush shape for the current tool.  Alternatively with the Use Current Alpha option enabled you can select any brush/alpha from the Brushes panel and additionally you can further vary the edge blending by changing the Falloff value.  Here's a screenshot with the various settings and the resulting brush strokes...

image.thumb.jpeg.584935832e5a1cefe2d3db1558cdd9c4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 9:26 AM, Fluffy said:

Without more of an idea of which brushes you're using and the type of result you're trying to achieve it's a little hard to know where to start (how to use brushes/alphas in 3D Coat is a pretty broad subject and would probably take a while to get through).

Tools like Grow in the Voxel Tools panel incorporate smoothing automatically and will give you very smooth, organic results without any need to tweak the settings, but if you're working with the tools in the Clay Engine panel here's a couple of settings that may help...

Using the Base Clay tool as an example, if you look at the Tool Options you'll see a checkbox for Use Current Alpha and next to it a gear icon.  While the Use Current Alpha option is disabled you can use the gear icon to access the Edit Brush Shape options window where you can modify the brush shape for the current tool.  Alternatively with the Use Current Alpha option enabled you can select any brush/alpha from the Brushes panel and additionally you can further vary the edge blending by changing the Falloff value.  Here's a screenshot with the various settings and the resulting brush strokes...

image.thumb.jpeg.584935832e5a1cefe2d3db1558cdd9c4.jpeg

YES! This is EXACTLY the help i needed. i wanted my brush strokes to look like this, more inline with how they'd look in Zbrush or Blender.

Question though, how do i SAVE this custom alpha, or setting or whatever its called?

Edited by Glitch Gremlin

• Reputable Contributor

In addition to what @Carlosanposted above which works with Use Current Alpha enabled, you can also use the Presets panel to store the current settings for a specific tool (including any alpha shape you create using the Edit brush shape window).  Just right click in the Presets window and choose Add Preset.

image.jpeg.aee6ec4ca9885de4f185d9715810c231.jpeg

You can choose which particular settings are stored by enabling or disabling them via the What to Store? menu

image.jpeg.fb80eb9191733c3d649b0f74bec48a58.jpeg

If you want to make any alterations to the preset after you've created it you can right-click it and choose Update Preset (you can also rename the preset, add your own description for the mouseover popup window and add the preset to one of the numbered slots in the Quick Panel via the same menu).

• Like 1