3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Losing hotkey function binding to numbers 1~9(non-keypad number) after performing "N-gon" stroke mode with sphere or 2Dpaint tool

Go to solution Solved by Andrew Shpagin,

Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Norris Lin was awarded the badge 'Great Support'

Hi, my name is Norris and I have been a long time 3Dcoat user since 2015 and very familiar with the software. 
However I found a bug that is hugely affecting my workflow. And I can confirm this bug happens since 2023.23. And I think it may(but not certain) relate to the added feature from the release note  below:
:- Almost all drawing modes (except regular draw mode) support shape multiplication. If you paint any shape (rectangle, lasso, shape, stroke) and press numerical combination, the shape will be multiplied, so you may draw multiple shapes at once.:

This bug happen when I finish a shape with sphere tool or 2Dpaint tool with N-gon stroke mode, if I press any number key(non-keypad), nothing will happen even if I have hotkey set on those. I also lose the function of creating more shape with sphere tool. And sometime may result crashing if I press number key too many times, with a fatal error message saying I am out of memory.(I have a high-end build with RTX 4090 and 128gram)

Later on I also found out this not only limited to sphere or 2Dpaint tool, most of the tool can use N-gon stroke mode will trigger this problem.

I have a lot of hotkey set to "non-number pad" number key(1~9) and combination of Ctrl or Shift with number key.
I have never had this bug before and I have tested 2 of machine and tried fresh reinstall the program but nothing help.

Please help!!

Screenshot 2023-08-12 021837.png

Screenshot 2023-08-12 023039.png

Edited by Norris Lin
  • Thanks 1

• Norris Lin changed the title to [BUG]Losing hotkey function binding to numbers 1~9(non-keypad number) after performing "N-gon" stroke mode with sphere or 2Dpaint tool

I found it, we need to doubleclick with LMB to create the mesh after duplication.

For multiplication we cant close shape contour manually welding first and last vertex but to use double click with LMB to closed it after multiplication.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Losing hotkey function binding to numbers 1~9(non-keypad number) after performing "N-gon" stroke mode with sphere or 2Dpaint tool

Hi Thanks for replying.
This still doesn't solve my problem. My problem is not how to execute the shape or mesh.
I know how to close the shape with doubleclick with LMB.
The issue happens after I doubleclick with RMB until I see a mesh has been created, and then I press "2" key to switch to my "cut off tool"(I set number 2 key as my cut off tool), but in this case it won't switch to the tool, nothing will happen, the hotkey will lose its function. I have a lot of tool are set to number keys(the ones above alphabet keys). And after performance a shape with N-gon it seems all the number hot keys lost their functionality. 
To repeat this issue:
1. Set "Cut off tool" to number "2" key(the one above w key)
2. Use Sphere tool with N-gon stroke mode to finish a mesh(until you see a mesh is created.)
3. Press number "2" key to switch to Cut off tool(use keyboard shortcut, don't click). Now this is the issue comes in, it won;t witch to the tool since the number key hotkey don't work at this point.

And This is definitely not the right behavior, I have been using 3Dcoat this way for 8 years until this bug comes in. Now I can't set any number key related hotkey and any hotkey combining with number key because whenever I execute anything with N-gon, all the number key shortcut will lose their function.

Please look into this.
Thank you!

Edited by Norris Lin

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2023 at 11:19 AM, Norris Lin said:

Hi Thanks for replying.
This still doesn't solve my problem. My problem is not how to execute the shape or mesh.
I know how to close the shape with doubleclick with LMB.
The issue happens after I doubleclick with RMB until I see a mesh has been created, and then I press "2" key to switch to my "cut off tool"(I set number 2 key as my cut off tool), but in this case it won't switch to the tool, nothing will happen, the hotkey will lose its function. I have a lot of tool are set to number keys(the ones above alphabet keys). And after performance a shape with N-gon it seems all the number hot keys lost their functionality. 
To repeat this issue:
1. Set "Cut off tool" to number "2" key(the one above w key)
2. Use Sphere tool with N-gon stroke mode to finish a mesh(until you see a mesh is created.)
3. Press number "2" key to switch to Cut off tool(use keyboard shortcut, don't click). Now this is the issue comes in, it won;t witch to the tool since the number key hotkey don't work at this point.

And This is definitely not the right behavior, I have been using 3Dcoat this way for 8 years until this bug comes in. Now I can't set any number key related hotkey and any hotkey combining with number key because whenever I execute anything with N-gon, all the number key shortcut will lose their function.

Please look into this.
Thank you!

Dear 3DCoat team, 

Do you have any update on this problem? 

Let me add to the aforementioned that any hotkey combinations, which are utilizing 0...9 number keys and R key are not working reliably with shape and lasso penops (#11 and up).

For example, I'd like to grab a vox clay tool after using cut tool in vertex lasso mode. Pressing my hotkey Ctrl+Alt+R for vox clay does nothing. Same with hotkeys utilizing numbers.

I'd like to emphasize that shape manipulation is a nice feature but it definitely not worth of losing key combinations I get used to during years of work in your flawless app. Due to anatomical accessibility numbers row and R key are binded on the hottest shortcuts in my layout and losing those while drawing with lasso is a real disaster.

Maybe there is a way to disable shape manipulation feature in config? Would be a real aid.

• 2 weeks later...